586,655 active members*
3,575 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Joes CNC Model 2006 > Has anybody used "Boatboard" (marine HDPE) before?

Has anybody used "Boatboard" (marine HDPE) before?

I was researching and pricing out plastics when I came across a product called Boatboard a.k.a. Starboard (a modified HDPE for marine use) that looks really promising. A 13" x 13" x 0.5" sheet costs only $10 and it's available in 5 different colors. Even a one inch block of that size costs a mere $17. One downside is that it "has a slightly textured no slip, anti-marking surface". Provided that the texture is just a surface finish (ie: not formed by deliberately introducing microscopic bubbles while forming the HDPE sheet), it shouldn't pose too big of an issue for us.

Here is where I found it: http://www.polyzone.com/asp/Product.asp?PG=2189

Has anybody used this stuff before? Is it just as wear resistant and slippery as regular HDPE? Is there an even cheaper source for HDPE out there?

Did you Google Boatboard?

I thinkl it is just a marketing ploy aimed at boat owners. They call it a modified HDPE and I think the modification is the textured surface. The properties claimed are just standard for HDPE: doesn't rot, yes correct, doesn't delaminate, yes correct etc.

And $10 for 13" by 13" at 0.5" thick is about $9.50 a square foot; is that much different to standard HDPE?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

same stuff as i buy.

joe

From the same site, a 12" x 12" x 0.5" sheet of HDPE (natural) costs $37.50.

Joe uses it, so that's pretty much a slam-dunk endorsement in my books.
    I found a Canadian site that carries the same stuff under the tradename of Starboard: http://www.theplasticstore.com/default.asp

Yes - I used it for the "cars" on my System2. (see User's Photogalery)
    Starboard -- Cuts well - machines easy - you'll need to work stepover to get the finish right. Doesn't adsorb moisture - I've found it stable in "shop" conditions.
    Can't say if its "just" repackaged to target boaties -- but the price you found is probably 1/2 to 1/3 what you'd pay a marine supplier! There is a special 3M (I recall) adhesive. It will Drill and Tap - but if using as a drive for threaded rod -- you'll have some backlash!

:cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.