586,119 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SmartCam & NX Express

I'll keep this short as possible and expand as necessary. We need to integrate a CAM package into our process. We have an old seat of SmartCam that we could upgrade or we can go with NX Cam Express.

Why? because our machine shop used to get less attention but now all machining from our sister plant plus a new company we just merged with is getting moved to our facility. We're installing 2 new Okuma's within the next month.

Background: Some smart people but no one with real CAM software experience. Most programs were created at the machine but with the influx of work this won't do. I've been asked to help out only because I'm our CAD expert and I'm starting to build a library of parts in Solid Edge (thus NX Cam Express as an option). For the first time ever we want to use our 3D models to create the programs.

I'll stop here and let you ask questions but not being a CAM guy I'm looking for input on how to make the decision. I've seen the NX demo (with our parts) but not seen a SmartCam demo yet. Also, not being a machinist I'm sure to screw up the terminology so be kind.

Thanks

NX Cam Express is an excellent tool it can go from 2-axis to 5-axis programming, turning and mill turns. It is really NX CAM without the modeling. I have been using it for 24 years (NX / UG CAM) and have not found anything it cannot handle. Now with that said it is not an easy system to learn. The CAM Express does come with some wizards to help get started, but if your going to get into any thing complicated then you will need some training.

Check out www.myigetit.com for some online training in NX CAM
    John Joyce -NC Programming Supervisor
    Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT