586,114 active members*
3,391 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RFQ Plastic Polycarbonate VMC Part.

RFQ Plastic Polycarbonate VMC Part.

Need 5 ASAP, can have material drop shipped, cut and ready for parallels and vise. One sided part, no soft jaws.

Thanks,
    PM

Quote sent via PM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KTD1 View Post
    Quote sent via PM
    How can you quote a part without knowing the tolerances?? They are not stated on the print, so you must've assumed that .xxx = +/-.005" as is the norm, but that's one quick way to get a pissed off customer!

And being made from polycarbonate, it begs the question of what finish requirements there are.

You say you will ship the material cut and "ready for parellels and vice". What kind of tolerances would be applied to the cuts? This stuff is slippery enough as it is...if the edges have draft, it could take a simple 5 part order and make it a potential nightmare, given the ASAP timeframe.

A little more info would be helpfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    How can you quote a part without knowing the tolerances?? They are not stated on the print, so you must've assumed that .xxx = +/-.005" as is the norm, but that's one quick way to get a pissed off customer!

And being made from polycarbonate, it begs the question of what finish requirements there are.

You say you will ship the material cut and "ready for parellels and vice". What kind of tolerances would be applied to the cuts? This stuff is slippery enough as it is...if the edges have draft, it could take a simple 5 part order and make it a potential nightmare, given the ASAP timeframe.

A little more info would be helpfull.
    The print calls fractional dims. +-.005 It doesn't say anything for the 3plc decimal. I agree this print needs work!!!!!!!!

It is small, but the .005+/- tolerance is on the print. These guy are not dumb, they all asked me specifics, like surface finish, DXF file, etc, in PM. Just like any other stock you order ready for use it is “accucut” (that’s what we call it) which from our supplier is .005+/-. Usually they are around 2-3 mills square, plenty square to hang on to.

Additionally, I would have a telephone conversation and send over the SW or DXF file to whom ever does the work.

The part allows for a full .250 of vise engagement, while still being able to drive around the out side.

My local guy, has made this part about 100 times, in his VMC, it is a quick clean part. Short cycle time, under 5 min, more like 2-3. It does not even require a tool change, all interpolation work. Unfortunately, larger contracts have made him forget about the small sized guys, which keep him in business (accumulatively) when a few large contracts vanish.

I do agree with any efforts to “warn” colleges and forum members. People can be jerks, and you should not offer quotes or take jobs if there is any question in your mind.

Yes, the PDF is quick and dirty, but it relays the point well. It is certainly not a standard by which to measure good drafting practices.

Thanks,
    PM

Hi polymath

PM has been sent
    Mactec54

Hello Polymath,
    Thanks for the explaination! PM sent.

PM sent

Hello,

PM sent. Thank you.
    Philip Confalone
    Machining Concepts

Thanks to everyone for your quotes, I know it takes time. Everyone was reasonable on priced and professional. We made our choice based on a few factors, not price only.

So the contract is filled, hopefully we will get nice clean parts. After a lengthy telephone conversation, I think we have found someone that hopefully will suit our needs, and also, seems to be a good contributor to the CNCZONE community.

Thanks again,
    PM