586,033 active members*
3,627 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > I would love to see this forum be more successful.

I would love to see this forum be more successful.

I think this forum could be wildly more active and more successful. To do that you need to downsize the number of forums and subforums. A site with this number of users/level of activity does not need over 200 forums. In fact a forum of any size does not need more than 200 forums and subforums.

This could be better handled by making the whole site into about 10 (or less) main forums with one or two subforums within them if necessary.

You may be thinking well what about machine/controller/cadcam program specific discussion? Machine/Program specific discussion would be handled by megathreads in one section. Casting metal for example would be one thread. As would Camworks. And CAD/CAM might be one subforum under CNC machines.

The advantage to this is it stops there from being 4 simultaneous threads about eBay welders. Instead there can be one subforum about welding or they can register on the new welding site It also would mean that many people with related knowledge would be subscribed to those threads and regularly check up on them. A wiki or FAQ is also usually posted at the top of each forum to reduce the number of repetitive questions and rule violations.

I would suggest as a rule of whether a forum/subforum should be kept by itself or not is if all of the first page have threads responded to in the last 48 hours.

A good example of how to manage a large forum with many different desired discussion topics would be forums.somethingawful.com.

I know this is technically the wrong forum but barely anyone sees the site suggestions forum.

Mods, users, admins, what do you think?

I am a big fan of the way this forum is set up. I agree that there is some places I have never been and most likely will never go - but as you describe a mega thread, if I see a thread that is more then 2 pages long I will not read it even if it is something that interests me as it take to long to sift threw that much information. Having so many forums and subforums keeps topics in one place. I do agree that some posts need more global appeal then they get by hiding them away in some subforum. but I do find it easy to buzz over the whole site quickly by just jumping to the places I frequent
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

Just my 2cents. Mega threads ought to be several threads - -yes.
    Who ought to be responsible for making that happen? -- The thread starter.

When it hits 2 or three pages - and the topic is moving into greater detail -- or off the mark -- but still interesting - the thread starter ought to make a follow-on. EG., Thread Name PART II continued...
    The thread starter ought to also see if there is a current thread - in the appropriate forum (KyleH2 -- no hit intended here!!) before posting.
    But doesn't it seem like sometimes things show up in the weirdest places?

Not sure how the 48 hour idea would work for some people (myself included) -- you'd miss a lot if you're off line for a few days (I can be offline for a month or more at a time.)
    BUT if well structured threads were available - speed read/scan - the dive into your area(s) of interest.

I find the forums index real helpful - - especially areas of interest I haven't been to in a while. Guess I kinda like the way its set up -- and think the Original posters ought to take some control of their own thread. Can you imagine a newby looking at some polymer based - formerly epoxy granite -- tech special -- 5000 posts on start up!?? Whew - I found it interesting -- but having been away for a while -- FORGET ABOUT IT

Sorry, looks like i tossed in a nickels worth. Throw a nickel on the grass..

Happy 4th!

:cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

It is definetaly very daunting for a new user to try and read everything.
    The way it is works really good if you come here at least once a day and just click "new posts".
    There is usually no more than 200 to skim for keywords or forums that are relevant to you. 200 may sound like a lot as well but you can fly through a page of 50 in 2 seconds of nothing suits your fancy.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Exactly what I do DareBee, I click New POsts in the morning and skim through to see if there's anything of interest to me.

I also prune my Subscribed threads regularly.

If it aint broke, dun fix it.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.