586,102 active members*
3,022 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Okuma soft limits

My employer has several Okuma lathes and and vertical mills with various OSP5000 controls. Two mills are nearly identical. However the X axis soft limits are more narrow on one of them. The specs call for 1500mm travel in X. That is about correct for one of them but the other is much less.

I have visited this website:

http://www.countyhistory.com/rbcreat...perations.html

This website shows a programming method to increase the width of the soft limits. Has anyone tried this or is there another way to just change parameters as with Fanuc controls?

Thanks for your help.

That website doesn't just show only programming method, if you just browse to the page 12-2 as shown in the .pdf file you can just position the cursor at the axis and simply press SET then follow with the value that you want(1500) then press ENTER.

Hope this will help.

Yes, thank you.

Specifically that method is referring to "narrowing" the soft limits. I tried that already to "widen" the limits. It returned an error stating that the new value entered exceeded the limits. I assumed then that this variable page was somehow over ridden by a page elsewhere (as is sometimes the case with Fanuc parameters).

I have experimented with changing values on this screen under both "VARIABLE LIMIT (PROG) AND VARIABLE LIMIT (MACH)" but the error is always returned.

The total X axis travel of this machine is about 49 inches via hand wheel, MDI, rapid, etc. The other machine is near 59 inches as specified. I've compared the settings in the two controls.

Surely there is a way to do this assuming the mechanical limits of the machine allow it. No doubt it is simple to those familiar with Okuma controls.

sorry getting back here kind of late, you may already had figured out how to change the limit via parameter setting.

Referring to Fanuc using PWE to unlock their parameter setting, Okuma unlock parameter by change Bit No.8 on parameter number16 in "NC OPTIONAL PARAMETER(BIT)" from zero to one this will unlock the parameter and allows you to access the system parameters.

Browse down few pages you should see the TRAVEL LIMIT setting page, you now should be able to change them to anything you like providing that there is no mechanical limit or interference.

We are having a similar problem on an Okuma DSP700M mill. When I access parameter number 16, I am presented with a choice of bits 0 through 7, no bit 8.

Can anyone advise me which bit to use so we can unlock and change our Z-axis lower limit?

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Referring to Fanuc using PWE to unlock their parameter setting, Okuma unlock parameter by change Bit No.8 on parameter number16 in "NC OPTIONAL PARAMETER(BIT)" from zero to one this will unlock the parameter and allows you to access the system parameters.
    George Lawrence Storm, Kenmore (Seattle), Washington
    Inventor, Machinist, Macintosh Applications Developer, Videographer

that must be a mistake. there are only ever 8 bits total 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
    but depending on the control there can be bits from 0 to 15 if the machine is 16-bit (as in 8-bit like a Commodore 64 computer or 16-bit like the Sega Mega Drive)
    if he said bit 8 maybe he means the last one (the 8th number but meaning the '7')
    previous post was nearly 4 years ago so there's little chance the guy is still around now to ask for clarification
    although maybe. user profile shows his last post was 12-17-2011

a description of each parameter should be listed in your manual if you have one.

Confused? Bit 7 could the 8th bit of 8 bits, numbered 7 to 0, or bit 8 of 15 to 0.
    Welcome to the world of computer bits and jargon.

Hey- I believe this is what i am trying to do also but the problem is that the NC optional paramaters does not have anything resembling regualr binary bits to change, i am sure it was there at one time but it is now invisible. is there some way to unlock these paramaters so i can see bit 8 of para 16?

what is Your control?
    the MS bit is under "Optional parameters, bit"

to open parameters hidden on okuma 5020M and 7000M

i attached info to open parameters on okuma
    Attached Files Attached Files

On the Okuma Mills
    Goto the parameter screen and hit F4 and Enter key
    Make sure the limit screen is open
    Goto the machine and program limit screen and activate display
    It will show you machine limits and programable limits
    You can adjust both by the setting key ------check the other machine for the size of the limits

Its optional parameter bit 16, bit 0.

NC opt bit 16, bit 7 (far left) opens up the other screens...however, when you leave parameter mode, it will turn back off...to prevent this, after turning on 16 bit 7, page down to NC opt par #32, bit 0 and make that a "1" as well... then if you go out of parameter mode and go back in, the screens will still be open. If you don't want others to access those screens, I wouldn't use that 32 bit 0 (in case you leave it on by mistake).