586,640 active members*
2,589 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Questions about mini and micromill purchase

Questions about mini and micromill purchase

Hi all

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on either a Micro or Mini mill in the upcoming week or so and am looking at the Homier, Harbor freight and Grizzly product lines (Other recommendations?) Probably will not get the Grizzly as I'd like the R8 Spindle

To me cost is a big factor and that is why I was considering a Micro Mill from HF, but don't want to be disappointed. Speed is not a big deal, not doing rocket science so accuracy doesn't have to be perfect.

The Largest parts I will be milling are approx 3" x 5" and 2" x 7" either CRS or 6061. I would like to cnc the machine eventually to save on the repetition, and to be honest, because I think it's cool. No production work will be done, purely hobbiest.

Other than the extra couple of hundred dollars for the mini mill, the table is only around 3 3/4" deep - the micro is 5 3/8" deep that seems quite a bit nicer. Does it really make a difference. The micro also seems to have a bit more table travel in the x direction. Any thoughts to add to this -

Bottom line I am thinking I'd be happier with the mini due to the increased power, weight etc, just not sure if the extra couple of C-notes is worth it and if the table size is the best.

The Homier mill is a $100 bucks cheaper than the HF, but the site said it would cost me 83 buck shipping. Anyone else seen any good deals?

Thanks (wedge)
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

If you sign up to the homier news letter they will notify you when a dealer is setting up in your area. That is the best place to buy since they are cheaper than the listed price and no shipping since your picking it up. Homier will ship right away other wise and HF will ship in 3-6 weeks.

I would go with the mini mill. It is more robust than the micro from what users have said. I have the Sieg X3 which is one step up from the mini mill which is the X2. I couldnt be happier with it.

I have a Micro Mill and it took A LOT of machining to get it with-in .001, the ways and the bed were out from .007 .012. I also changed the gibs to brass which has helped it run much smother.

Paul, I've got a Micro-Mill also... I'm currently beating my way through a CNC conversion of it. I've finally gotten the X and Y to run decently and now I need to tackle the Z...

Did you true up the Micro on a bigger mill? Seems like you posted some pics of a Ballscrew conversion was it on the Micro? If so,I'm curious as to how you mounted the ball nuts... as the stock screws keep pissing me off...
    Nathan

I used a big milling machine and it's a mini mill not the micro. Check out my gallery, I will post more pics when I get a chance http://cnczone.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/610