586,043 active members*
3,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > X axis loss of power during program

X axis loss of power during program

Interesting new problem.

When using my Syil super x3 this week I experienced a problem I haven’t encountered before.

In the middle of the program the X axis would stop moving even though it was registering on Mach that it was. I pulled the back of and watched the driver card and it was light was rapidly flashing but slightly dimmer than normal.

This would also happen in jog and the axis would move in the wrong direction when i jogged it back and forth sometimes. I could power the machine down and it would start working again.

I swapped cards and had the same problem. Finally in frustration I disconnected my 4th axis and tried it again. Since the 4th axis was removed it has worked flawlessly.

I am curious if for some reason my power supply isn’t capable to power all 4 drivers? Is this why they have gone to 2 power supplies in the X4?

Any ideas?

Can we switch driver cards? I wouldn’t mind upgrading to geckos or something for more reliability.
    Why aren’t spare components sold on the website? Is there another website we could buy these?
    I don't give a damn if you don't like me, cause i don't like you cause you are not like me.

Question Make a tool.

If you make a pin removing tool and extract the pins from the stepper plug (at the stepper) you will probably find poorly crimped connections.
    Give each a wire a gentle tug. Just 1 loose one will stop it dead.
    If you have a bit of patience and want to really find it by measurements, check the stepper winding continuity at the driver plugs. Compare with X with Y and you probably find an open circuit on 1 phase of the x axis.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

I had the same problem. It turned out to be a loose ribin cable from my driver to the PC interface board. Just plug it back in.

i have check all my connections and it only happens when all 4 drivers are connected.
    I don't give a damn if you don't like me, cause i don't like you cause you are not like me.

Question Too much current?

If it only happens when all four drivers are connected, do you mean the power to the drivers, the output plugs or the input plugs.
    The switch one on the drivers causes the current to reduce after a drive has stopped moving for a short time. This takes a fair bit of load off the power supply.
    If when your machine is stationary for say 10 minutes are the steppers really hot or just nice and warm.
    If really hot then put the switch 1's to the the OFF position.
    I suspect before being shipped they are left in the ON position after having the current settings calibrated. All of mine were ON, and I have seen others like this too.
    Monitor your 48v with a multimeter and see if it is not sagging. Does the power supply fan work? If PS gets too hot it will start to shutdown.
    I have a 600W PS for my 4 axis.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.