586,121 active members*
3,471 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Playing on my lathe and wanted to share

Playing on my lathe and wanted to share

It's been a while since I have posted. I was working with my lathe today and wanted to share.

Attached are pictures of a couple of rings I made. Please let me know what everyone thinks!@ I have never made a ring before - so this was my first atempt. Any advice would be appreciated.

A friend of mine asked me to make some antenna's. So figure I would do this to get me back used to using my lathe before making their stuff.

:rainfro:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rings-001.jpg   rings-002.jpg   rings-003-making-sm.jpg   rings-004-cut-off-sm.jpg  

rings-005-making-sm.jpg  
    Please check out my CNC blog
    http://cncinside.com

maybe i may answer your question with mine.

how do yall make rings fillet on both in and outside?like engagemant and wedding rings?

thx in advance.

nice work by the way good lukk with the antennas.
    Finally CHIPS you can have as much as you can without the doc. complainting about your cholesterol.

To size a ring would be hard for me. I bored out the center to the size I needed and then trimmed the outside the way I wanted after. I would not know how to re-size anything.

This is aluminum - I think they heat up the metal and stretch or take away to re-size a ring. Not 100% sure but aluminum take a lot higher temps to melt than gold or silver.

Thanks for the compliments.
    Please check out my CNC blog
    http://cncinside.com

Quote Originally Posted by ironDigit View Post
    how do yall make rings fillet on both in and outside?like engagemant and wedding rings?
    Any one of four ways (excluding casting cause that's what the jewlers use).
    1) radius attachment (also commonly referred to as a ball turning attachment)
    2) grind the fillet shape into a piece of HSS and use that to profile the piece
    3) good old fashion hand file
    4) cnc lathe can easily do curves
    -John
    http://www.engineeringhobbyist.com

Re-sizing mandrel... they have ring sizes printed/stamped on them and a press ring. You slide your ring onto the mandrel, slip on the press ring and tap with a mallet until your ring is on the mark for the size you are after. No heat involved. Unless you are trying to make it smaller... at which point, you make a cut and force the ends together. Solder together again and slip back on the sizing mandrel. Size to fit...

A resizing mallet would work in a soft metal like gold, Im not sure if you can resize that way an aluminium ring. Yesterday I made a titanium ring for my wife, Im 100% sure a mallet would be of no use in it, she asked to make it a tiny bit larger ID, I will put it in the lathe again.
    The ring OD is exactly 19mm (almost 3/4") so having an ER40 collet for that size was a real saver.

nice work,

but yet i can't grasp how to decently clamp a ring in a lathe to make both id and od fillet or perhapse completele round shaped like a donut....hmmm yeah maybe i should a asked how do you turn a donutshaped ring ?

thx in advance again.
    Finally CHIPS you can have as much as you can without the doc. complainting about your cholesterol.

You might want to play around with a knurl on the ring before you bore the hole. This will give you a different look