586,103 active members*
3,437 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > News Announcements > 2nd generation DeskCNC controller now shipping

Exclamation 2nd generation DeskCNC controller now shipping

Today we began shipping the 2nd generation, DeskCNC controller.

This is a 125,000 steps per second, step and direction, Windows OS controller. It has flash reprogrammable firmware which is updated with the DeskCNC software. The board is 2 x 2.5 inches. All operation is through the serial port.

The controller supports 7 relay outputs (CW, CCW, Flood, Mist, Aux1-3), 8 switch inputs (4 axis simultaneous homing, e-stop, feed hold, probe/limit, and cycle start), and a 5v PWM spindle speed output. It has 4 axis continuous motion contouring. Machine configurations include rotary 4th axis, slaved linear 4th axis, and 4 independent axes for foam cutting.

The board also has a quadrature encoder connector. This function will be activated in the near future with capabilities planned for lathe threading, manual jog control, and torch height control.

DeskCNC is a CAM programming system with contouring, pocketing and drilling, 3D surface machining, PCB tracerouting and drilling, image acquisition, editing, engraving and carving, and text engraving, a standalone editor/simulator, and a CNC machine controller. Specialized programming routines have been added for 4 axis foam cutting, including island salvage, and 3D rotary axis ring cutting.

The controller supports integrated probing with automated surface scanning, compensation for probe tip diameter, and creation of a 3d .stl surface file. It has cutter compensation (G41/G42), tool and work offsets, drill cycles, and program subroutines. An api is available for some user customization of controller functions.

Requires Windows 98 or later, recommended processor speed of 200 MHZ or faster, and 16 meg ram(128 Meg ram and faster processor recommended for 3D surface manipulations).

Additional info at:
    DeskCNC 2nd gen controller

Fred Smith - IMService

Very, nice can't wait to get my hands on one.

Maybe someone can do a review when they get one

Is this a motor drive or do you need a motor driver (like Gecko/Rutex etc) in addition to this? Just wondering

It's a interface between the windows, software and the drivers.

DeskCNC does have driver boards to compliment their controllers as well, they do a small servo drive 35V 5A and a micro stepper controller board. They will soon be releasing another motor drive product, yet to be disclosed.
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

i would too like to know if anyone has tryed this out yet how was running at 125k ? been thinking about getting one so i can up my speed and remove my stepmutiplexer

Quote Originally Posted by Kookaburra
    DeskCNC does have driver boards to compliment their controllers as well, they do a small servo drive 35V 5A and a micro stepper controller board.
    The SV500 is a single axis, step and direction, servo Driver. It is rated at 30vdc max and 5 amps. It has automatic current limiting and thermal protection. The PID loop in contained on each board and there is an enable line that faults all axes if one faults.

SV500 servo driver info

These motors were spec'd to match the SV-500 servo driver boards:

Servo motors and power supply kit

We also have an inexpensive 4 axis stepper driver, based on the Allegro A3977 chip. full, half, quarter and 1/8 micro stepping.

4 axis stepper driver board

Fred Smith - IMService

Christian Guest
    Is this controller compatible with the Galaad software and Gecko G201 drivers? Interesting to know coz I'm thinking of switching from software interface (Mach 2) to a hardware one.

Thanks
    -Christian

The controller includes software and hardware. It can use the G-codes created with Galaad to run the machine. Galaad cannot be directly coupled to the controller.

DeskCNC can also create it's own G-cdoe programs, so you probably don't even need Galaad to do that.

Fred Smith - IMService

Please correct my understanding here.

With this device it allows the computer to talk faster to the stepper drivers.

So the best Mach2 can do is 45000 sps, then this will allow for nearly 3 times that speed with Desk CNC.

Am I understanding this correctly?

I guess an advantage is that you can gear down your machine more but still drive it as fast ( Given that the steppers go fast enough) This will give finer resolution without speed loss. ??

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb
    So the best Mach2 can do is 45000 sps,
    Maybe

The DeskCNC controller is dedicated hardware up to 125,000 steps per second. It can be run well at any lower speeds too. One of the places where this is useful is that there are many servo motors around with hires encoders. With 125,000 steps per second, the encoders are still useful and won't need replacing to use the motors.

It also triples ( compared to the old DeskCNC board which could hit just over 40000 sps) the rapid speeds that can be achieved on machines like plasma, lasers, and routers.

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.cadcamcadcam.com

Benny,

When you come to see us at the show, I can tell you all about it. It is really nice stuff.
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

good!!