586,104 active members*
3,398 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Granite Surface Plate - Enco - Cracked?

Granite Surface Plate - Enco - Cracked?

I just received the Granite Surface Plate seen in the pictures below from Enco (url: http://tinyurl.com/5b8d2r). It appears to have a crack along the left hand side of it; the line appears through all four sides of the plate. However, there is absolutely no "feel" to this crack; it is only aesthetic AFAIK. The plate only cost ~$15, so I recognize that this is not top-dollar stuff - but is this normal? Should I request a return? (FYI: this is my first granite plate ever owned...)

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010191.jpg   P1010192.jpg   P1010193.jpg  
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Just keep it for your 'rough use plate' and order another one (if it is a real crack). I'd be surprised that the piece had not just fallen right off by now, if it is a real crack. Perhaps it is some kind of a fusion or crystallization line in the granite?

On second thought, you could always contact them and send the pictures in. I doubt that neither you nor they would want to pay the freight on moving the dud around, and maybe you could get another one for just the cost of shipping or even for free.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hu - Thanks.

Given the nature of the use of a surface plate, I wasn't keen on settling for a compromised plate. I emailed ENCO customer service (and attached the photo's). They responded within 4 hours, stating that they will be shipping me a replacement and that based on the retail cost of the plate (~$15) and weight (50 lbs?), I can either keep or throw away the cracked one.

I'm always a big fan of companies that are willing to do the "right" thing re: customer service. So hats off to Enco!
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD