586,096 active members*
3,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Out of my element

I have a friend who is an electrical engineer. He wants to know the "out put?" of dro scales. I was complaining about the cables on my lathe & mill and he asked why they were not wireless. Does anyone know the answer or where to go to get the answer. I have Sino on my mill & Grizzly on my lathe. Any help or direction would be appreciated.
    thanks

Wireless??? I don't know if that would work. I have noise issues with may limits already. I can only imagine that wireless would make that a bigger issue.

Dan

My assumption would be a workshop is an electrically noisy environment. Why risk the introduction of error by using wireless?

Perhaps not as critical on dro's but wireless is generally a bad idea in cnc. I have already had trouble using a wireless mouse and keyboard. If either the batteries get weak or the computer looses the connection momentarily, then you have no control over what is happening. That could be bad and caused my first real crash on my router. Same goes for wireless limits and especially Estops. There is likely a law against wireless estops for this very reason on commercial units.

I think the best way to handle things is more planning when running the wires. They can be installed where they are protected and out of the way and even out of sight depending on the machine.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by gr8life View Post
    I have a friend who is an electrical engineer. He wants to know the "out put?" of dro scales.
    There are commonly two forms of output, two TTL square waves 90deg apart, or two sine waves 90deg apart, 1v p-p or 11µa.
    This is called quadrature decoding, due to the signals being 90 deg apart.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.