586,096 active members*
3,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

CNC Machine V2

Hey guys,
    This is my second machine build. Shortly after finishing my first CNC build, I realized that it was not up to my standards. So i've decided to build another larger, more rigid, more accurate and hopefully faster machine.
    I started by ordering an 18.5" x 6" crossslide table from a local tool store. As for ball screws, I chose 3' of 5/8" rolled spindle, and 4 of the type 2 square ballnuts from Roton. Im going to preload each pair with hardware store springs. I will only have ballscrews on the X and Y for now. I've also ordered an X2 head with r8 spindle from Little Machine Shop. As of now, I'm still waiting for my THk SR23W/Rails which I scored on Ebay.
    For the spindle motor, I will be using the 2.4KW treadmill motor that is sitting on my current CNC machine. I've picked up a bildge pump motor and a steel pail for the coolant.
    As for control software, i'm currently using TurboCNC via win98 SE. In the near future, I plan on building a consol for the computer by integrating a reburbished 15" lcd monitor into a computer frame. I've managed to get a usb 2.0 thumb drive to work with win98 so transfering files from my laptop to the cnc computer is a breeze.
    I've included a few pictures aswell. Let me know what you guys think
    mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc 001.jpg   cnc 002.jpg   cnc 003.jpg   cnc 004.jpg  

cnc 005.jpg   cnc 006.jpg   cnc 007.jpg   cnc 008.jpg  

cnc 009.jpg  

Nice...very nice

Good idea, I am going to be following this build. Looks interesting.
    Oh, by the way, How did you get the headstock that clean in the last pic?
    "Are you gonna eat that?"

Looks cool, well be posted!

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by praetor View Post
    Oh, by the way, How did you get the headstock that clean in the last pic?
    Acetone and a razor blade, to get that awful paint off. Then I spent about 4 hours sanding the headstock on a piece of glass with 200grit waterproof sand paper. Talk about alot of work!!

mike

Update!

Well, today I got around to machining the ballscrew ends. It took quite a while to get them down to size. The minimal dia was .480 and I need to get them down to .475 (not much room for error). After hogging through the majority of the thread, I started taking 2 thou passes until i reached the minimal dia. I ended up machining some sleeves to accuratly secure the BSs' in the 3 jaw chuck prior to machining them. Anyways, here are some pictures

mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc 010.jpg   cnc 011.jpg   cnc 012.jpg   cnc 013.jpg  

cnc 014.jpg  

Control Consol

Well, I have to admit I havent been working on the machine very much these last few days. Because I have been busy constructing a consol. It's very basic but I have left alot of room for extra things (jog wheel, buttons .etc). The consol measures 17" by 20" by 6 and 1/8th" deep. The frame is made from 1" angle steel 1/8" thick. The screen is a 15" reconditioned LCD monitor. I picked up a rubber keyboard from Princess Auto for $9. I've installed two fans, one for intake and one for outtake. There is also access to USB and MIDI ports (incase I want to and a pendant in the future). The machine has a 555mhz cpu, 128mb of ram, CD/DVD drive and 40gb harddrive. Im currently using Windows 98SE and Turbo CNC. The computer has no mouse plugged in. This is because i've had alot of trouble with mice and oil, metal chips etc in the past. Luckily It's fairly straight forward to restart in DOS-mode using the Windows button, arrow keys, and enter. =)

mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails consol 001.jpg   consol 002.jpg  

Machine Update

I've been quite busy with building the machine lately. The structure is complete. I've mounted the SR25W rails and made sure they are parrallel to within 0.001."
    I also installed a set of metal gears for the r-8 mini mill spindle. I plan to fill the mini mill head with gear oil. I still have to work out how I will stop oil from leaking out of the transmision shift leaver. Perhaps a new handle assembly and a recess for an o-ring will work.
    I managed to find 2 large pieces of t6 aluminum from the local scrap yard, both weighing in at about 30lbs. The base measures 8x18x2, and the column measures 5x2.5x22. I've bolted them together with five 1/2-13nc hex bolts.
    The column had a little bit more than one thou of flex, when I tugged on the top (indicator located at 10" from bottom). To resolve this I attached two gussets made of 1/4" alum plate. This has reduced the flex at 10" to barly a jiggle in the needle.
    I installed the ballscrews and the homemade preloaded ballnuts. I wanted to test them as I have never had zero backlash. and sure enough when I reset the position to X0 the needle was at the orginal position. same with the Y-axis.
    Tomarrow I will 'be making the bellows for the Y and Z axis. I stumbled upon a blog where a fellow made his own bellows by folding thin plastic paper and it seems to have turned out pretty well. He has provided a template for the folding pattern. He has made bellows for the sherline mill but, the template can be altered to fit just about anysize machine. here is the url for those interested.
    http://www.ixen-cnc.com/2007/10/lead...line-mill.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V2 001.jpg   V2 002.jpg   V2 003.jpg   V2 004.jpg  

V2 005.jpg  

Machine is complete

I've finally got around to finishing the machine. It weighs in at about 140lbs.
    All three axis have zero backlash. The spindle tops out at about 4600rpm. I've installed metal gears for the r-8 x2 spindle head, on the downside it is very noisy. Overall im very pleased with the results. It seems to be accurate to +- .002" over a 4" distance which is plenty enough for what I plan to use it for.
    I've recently started a 2 year program at BCIT (British Columbia Institute of Technology) which consists of 33 weeks manual machining, 33 weeks co-op, and 33 weeks CNC machining.
    Hopefully this machine will be usefull for the latter portion of the program. Where I could use it as a training aid at home. At school there are about 7 Haas machines. I was toying with the idea of converting my machine to run on the same g-code platform (fanuc or w/e) as Haas machines. But I have very limited knowledge control systems of CNC machines. SO my question is, do any of you know of a g-code controller that runs on the same platform as the Haas cnc machines?
    I Know at BCIT there is a lab which is filled with about 20 Hass machine computers. Would it be possible to hook one of these up to my machine?
    I imagine they are pretty pricey.
    Im using a 3-axis xylotex board for now. In the futur I hope to move on to servo's and geckos.
    anyways here's a video of the machine in action

[ame="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=PQg-BddFlF4"]YouTube - CNC Machine[/ame]

thanks for any help,
    Mike Grobowsky

Nice work!

I found a Haas controller simulator sold on Ebay for $1000
    listed in the Haas forum.
    Pretty pricy indeed.
    Read a couple people asking the same thing about using one to control a mill at home
    and the news wasn't good.
    Try posting a question there, maybe someone has figured it out now and will help.
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Omg, that looks and works amazing. Maybe it's just me, but you seem to be taking some pretty decent cuts there and pretty fast. I'm really freaking impressed and maybe also a little disappointed...Maybe I baby my TAIG cnc too much, you seem like you had no problem with that!

-Jason

mike this machine looks well built judging from the way it operate in the video
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

I can't believe how much material your removing at the speed. Looks decently fast. Man, I'm impressed

-Jason

What? Are you serious? How have I made stupid posts?????

-Jason

Great looking machine Mike!!!! I use the same table for mine. What paint did you use?

JoeyB....Shame on you Pops getting crabby in your old age! I think Speedscustom is a enthusiastic youngster who is excited about the cnc world. I like his attempts at trying and learning. And for your only comment on this thread is to attack Speedscustom....shame on you! Totally uncalled for!

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    I can't believe how much material your removing at the speed. Looks decently fast. Man, I'm impressed

-Jason
    I agree ! I'm impressed too !
    I'd like to know what steppers, drivers and PS is used ? Great job.

Steve

Can you post what the model number is for that table please?

Nice work by the way!

Chris

here is the table type that he is using
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Sweet! Thank you.

I totally forgot about Enco! Whoops!

Thanks Zip!

I have seen other tables around with large travels, but that is a decent travel and table price. I guess you can always make your own table bed with linear slides, wouldn't that be fun!

Is your column just a large hunk of aluminum with bracket supports. (You also probably skimmed the the column for squareness)?

-Jason

Thanks Guys!

I put alot of effort into building this machine. It took me about two years to finally get the results I was hoping for. I started the first machine while I was in gr.11. It wasn't until march this year that I had finally finished it. Even then I had to run it very conservativly to get somewhat decent cutting results. Realized that for a quality machine, you must use quality parts and rigid a rigid structure. I spent this past summer putting this machine together.
    I forgot to included to specs for that video. The cutter is a .375" 2 flute hss endmill. Cutting speed is 20ipm. Rapids are at 60ipm on the X and y, and 25ipm on the Z.Spindle speed is about 3700rpm. The depth of cut is .05". There was also the occasional squirt of wd-40.

Hoss, I will post my question in the Haas forum. I'll ask around at school, maybe I can find out where they bought the controllers from.

Jason, thanks for the kind words. my first machine used a Taig headstock and I found that it worked well with cuts less than .05". I was considering purchasing a Taig mill. I would like to know what you think of it? rapid speeds? I've heard that the taig mill can cut steel, do you have an experiance with this? Oh by the way my column is solid 6061 aluminum 2.5" x 5" x 22". I've shimmed the column to the table. I havent put a test indicator on it yet.

ZipSnipe, thanks, Im not using any paint at this time just the bare metal with a thin coating of oil to prevent oxidation. I may prime and repaint the x2 spindle head depending on how well the film of oil works.

SScnc, im using a 3 axis xylotex board with their supplied 24v power supply http://www.xylotex.com/24VDC_4-5A-PowerSupply.htm
    for the X and Y axis vexta PV269 bipolar motors
    http://catalog.orientalmotor.com/ite...=prod&filter=0
    for the Z axis im using 269oz bipolar motor from xylotex.

I would like to hook up a coolant system pretty soon, but im not to sure on how to hook it up to the computer. I'm guessing that I could use some kind of a relay switch for the pump and some how wire it to the I/O lines on the xylotex board.

Mike Grobowsky

Page 1 of 2 12