586,068 active members*
3,978 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Interact 1 mk2 z measurement fault

Our interact 1 mk2 with 370 control was in a production run on friday when it suddenly developed a fault of "z measurement fault a "
    We have swapped drives around, and there appears to be nothing obvious wrong. Would this be related to the motor controlling the z? We can take 1 off another machine and try?
    any info appreciated.

Probably an encoder fault. It is typically inside the motor but I have not worked on one of these machines. The Z motor does not move thus the cable does not flex so I do not believe the fault to be in the cable.
    There is the outside chance that the error could be in the control itself.
    Swapping the motor encoder assembly with another one could shed some light on this.
    Remember to support the head as typically, the Z motors also include a brake.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"fault A" means that the actual position is outwith the tolerance set in the parameters or that you have excess servo lag.You can download all the manuals for that control from here.The error message will be explained somewhere,probably servic or maintenance manual.
    http://filebase.heidenhain.de/doku/o...A1/N149A1.html

This is similar to a message that I just resolved on my Mk 2. In my case, after swapping the motors and cleaning all the external contacts throughout the encoder path, I went inside the controller and found that cleaning the connectors that go from the external screw-on encoder contacts to the control board did the trick. Taking the control out is not too bad, just make sure to use good ESD practices. The connectors are very simple to access once you take the control cover off. In my case the controller was a 155B.

Good luck.

i cured my issue by swapping over with a motor from an older machine which is no longer in use, but i now have what i believe to be a faulty motor here which i would like to service.
    Anyone any idea what i should be paying for a run of the mill service,or are these things an open and see situation>?