586,121 active members*
3,679 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Not a Benchtop mill but Dang! You have to see this build.

Not a Benchtop mill but Dang! You have to see this build.

http://www.cnc.info.pl/topics60/frez...c2dfd11b2a5c44

Geez, how is it that some of you guys have the time and resources to accomplish such a feat...possibly while On the Job, I'd get fired for attempting this...lol
    "Are you gonna eat that?"

uhm, I suspect there was a little number cruching when making that gear cluster!!

Thats freaking awesome!

-Jason

Uh, wow. Amazing work. That is the biggest build I've ever seen. And the parts he was making with it...

What language is this, Polish? I wish I could read it.

Serge

I was too lazy to do babelfish or anything so I just enjoyed being a kid and looking at the pictures

edit - if it is polish I might need to print the whole thing off and have my grandmother translate...my grandfather was a tool and die maker so she might have some knowledge of the terminology to boot.
    Every day is a learning process, whether you remember yesterday or not is the hard part.
    www.distinctperspectives.com

It's Polish! My pride!

Great stuff!

-Jason

No babel fish

Yeah, I thought it was Russian at first, tovarisch, but it's polish...I couldn't babel fish it because babel fish doesn't have polish to english translator.
    "Are you gonna eat that?"

what does that gearcluster do anyway ??

besides making you drewl and feel like your used to be average machine just got real puny...

great build ..... ..... (i'm actually dazzled)
    Finally CHIPS you can have as much as you can without the doc. complainting about your cholesterol.

In the same kind if less complex:

Bigcn

If you want to see the build the links you want to clic on are:

"surfacage du chassis"

"Le portique"

"Les montant"

"La table"

Videos of the first tests there

etc..

PS: the machine is not mine
    www.usinages.com

cool gears

I saw the photo of those non-circular gears and had to see how they worked.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vRkXoTWqc"]YouTube - non-circular gears and planetary gear[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by praetor View Post
    http://www.cnc.info.pl/topics60/frez...c2dfd11b2a5c44

Geez, how is it that some of you guys have the time and resources to accomplish such a feat...possibly while On the Job, I'd get fired for attempting this...lol
    Wow, that is an amazing machine - he's even got through spindle coolant!

Did anyone work out where those mad gears went - does he have a rotating head-mount?

I have a weird antique British steel and brass positive displacement gear pump along these same lines, with an additional toothed outer rotating ring unlike any seen in the video, but otherwise very similar. I pulled it from an old pre-war engine where it served as the main oiling pump, driven directly from the crank by a bevel gear in much the same manner as a distributor.
    It was too nicely machined to toss, and way cool not to keep as a desk widget to confuse people with. I guess it proves that at least at some point they did serve definite practical purposes though.
    I wonder does anyone still use this concept for anything today?

Edit - Yup, apparently they still are used, and for things that make my brain hurt trying to understand. Somebody would have to REALLY enjoy multivariable calculus to even comprehend designing these things. Most likely the kind of person they have to safely lock away in a padded room after a few years visualizing this stuff...

From a purely laymans perspective, I did notice that the oval gears in the video caused a difference in effective pitch ratio as they rotated, causing the driven shaft to speed up and slow down twice during each revolution. If I'm looking at it right this would mean a steady input shaft speed would get you a variable pulsing of the output shaft speed at a Hz exactly twice that of the rpm. Why you would want this I don't know, I thought it was pretty cool though. I don't even begin to get the other stuff....

it took me more then 10min. meditating before i could imagine the square with the triangle in it rotate let alone coming up with a purpose ,will probably set me back a couple o days and i got a scheme to stick with.

My spontaneous guess was some kind of downgearing jig to go from real high rpm to real low.

pls can some1 correct me?
    Finally CHIPS you can have as much as you can without the doc. complainting about your cholesterol.

That is truly a work of art , amazing skill and use of some large machinery at a masters finger tips.

Dam pity I can't read in Polish but yet I was like a kid just looking at the pictures like a cnc'er member said in the thread .

amazing work.

Does anyone know of a full website translating software around other wise translating small amounts of txt can be time consuming.

cheers

google translator
    http://translate.google.com/#

So is that a spindle gearset then?

One thought on why you would want the spindle to vary speed--it would break up chatter. Chatter is a resonant effect. If you have a VFD with a knob, you'll know that frequently a quick tweak on the knob will kill the chatter because it changes the frequency to a place where there is no resonance.

Having that built into the gear cluster would be pretty exotic, but I couldn't think of another reason to do it.

Cheers,

BW

Quote Originally Posted by ironDigit View Post
    it took me more then 10min. meditating before i could imagine the square with the triangle in it rotate let alone coming up with a purpose ,will probably set me back a couple o days and i got a scheme to stick with.

My spontaneous guess was some kind of downgearing jig to go from real high rpm to real low.

pls can some1 correct me?
    Looks like a flowmeter to me.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by The Blight View Post
    Hi The Blight , thank you for that link , awesome now I'm multilingual and read and write in 100plus languages. Sssssshhhhhhhhhhhh I'm cheating LOL!

Makes browsing other foreign language Forums mores feasible rather than just viewing pictures and wonder what each section is and just " CLICKing " on anything.

" How many different languages are there in the world? Linguists estimate that there are about 5,000-6,000 different ..."

cheers

Hehe. I use it to browse the polish cnc forums. Lots of good info!

you see my arrogance protects protects me from such displays of excellence, you see, where there are pictures is just see blank space.not only that my inability to read the language protects me as well, otherwise i would have to come to grips with all the info that is over my head, leading me to hide in my closet...... it is amazing though of course i can do better as long as i am asleep. joking aside IMPRESSIVE!