586,094 active members*
4,070 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: QUOTING help

QUOTING help

I am very new to this and have not been making parts anyone other than myself but i got a request to make some things for a friends business. I want to be fair but make a little money out of the deal also. Does anyone have a template for plasma cut pricing based on material type, thickness, and linear inch. Something that I can use to help me quote these parts for him. Any help is greatly appreciated.

44 people looked and no one replied

Since he is your "friend" and he is running a "business" why not just ask him what he is willing to pay for the work?

You have made parts before and should have a rough idea of what it will cost you to produce parts for him.

If he wants to give you $100 bucks he is not your friend!

Good luck!

P.S. last job I did for my friend when he asked how much he owed me for the simple job I gave it to him.
    It's all based on what you want, template is great if your running a business and deal with quotes all day long.

Look at what local shops are charging and cut it by 1/4. If your friend is going to make money on this too, then he'll make his mark-up money, and you make your money. I'm gonna guess simple plasma at 1/4" thick is around $75 an hour. Best thing to do since you're new at this is to get the files, do all the toolpaths and let the machine run 'dry.' That way, you know how long it will take (even though you did the work you just didn't cut material) and you know what the time will be. Sometimes you just gotta take the plunge. Most of the time you come out all right. Sometimes you'll loose but most of the time you come out just right.

And another thing. Don't forget to charge for your real time. Cleaning the shop, changing the tips on the torch, loading the material, delivery, picking up material... I've forgotten some of that on my projects and spent more time messing around with the administration of the business I didn't make any money on a project.

Good luck.

I would call this transaction B2B. Business to Business. Think of it like that, not like you are doing a friend a favor.

Quote Originally Posted by AbachBua View Post
    i got a request to make some things for a friends business. I want to be fair but make a little money out of the deal also.
    Just figure what it will cost to do the work then add a little for yourself. Yes, he's a friend, but he is in business and he will make money on the product that is produced. He will understand you need to do the same.

I too have a friend I do work for from time to time... when asked to quote a project for him, I just asked how much he was paying the other shop for the same work. It was more than I was going to charge, but because he is my friend he was willing to pay the same rate to me. I have helped him in the past for free and he has returned the favior. He knows business is business.

Hope this helps.

James