586,471 active members*
3,347 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle Orientation Fault

We have a 1995 Haas Vf-1

I've been getting a Spindle orientation fault approx once per day, maybe 6 hours into a shift.

If I try to initialize the machine in the morning with no air pressure, this is the (same) fault I see . in the past couple of occurrences, I tried to connect it to others using air in the shop, thinking maybe the pressure had dropped.
    It happened twice today with no other air usage, so, apparently this is an unrelated problem.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks

--Jon

The only thing I ever remember spindle orientation for, is the use of the tool changer. If there has been a recent tool changer crash/ smash i guess this could be a possible cause. Also if someone is locking the spindle to remove a tool without removing the holder it can also cause orientation problemos. If you don't use the tool changer I believe the machine will run fine, if not time for service and/ or repair. It may also have something to do with the high/ low gear but I am only guessing.

With a 95' Machine you probably have a air operated shot pin that comes out and mechanically positions the spindle in the correct orientation. There is a ring that has a slot where the shot pin rests when the orientation is correct. This ring wears out. If worn out the shot pin will enter the slot and slip back out, when it should lock, causing the spindle to spin and try again. It only tries a couple times before alarming out.

You could also have a sticky shot pin, but more that likely you have a bad orientation ring. Should be directly behind the motor.

Also you should get a Low air pressure alarm if you start the machine with no air. Possibly someone changed parameter 76 to a large number (very common during service) and forgot to put it back to 1500.

Encoder belt, we had one go on our minimill. Spindle orient alarms all the time. Could be your problem.