586,096 active members*
3,739 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Rounding corners while cutting off part

Rounding corners while cutting off part

Has anyone used a cutoff style tool with a round insert?? such as this one.

http://kennametal.com/e-catalog/Prod...ategory%3A3583

I'd like to use it to round off corners at both ends of the part, and do some small profiling before i cut off the part.

thanks.
    -dave

I have never used a round nose tool like that for parting for a couple of reasons; first one is that I expect chip clearance would be an issue once the tool was deeper in the part off groove than twice its width; second one is that it would leave an enormous ridge on the parted off piece.

It is very easy to put a radius on either side of the part off just using a regular parting tool. If you want to do any other turning or profiling use the appropriate tool.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

thanks geof. that's what i figured. i want to create a nice rounded corner and wasn't sure what the limits are of a cutoff tool.

-dave

Quote Originally Posted by racingdave View Post
    ...... what the limits are of a cutoff tool.

-dave
    NEVER CUT ON THE SIDE!!!!!!!!!

Explicit enough?

Move to the part-off position.

Part to a diameter slightly smaller than the diameter at which the corner radius ends.

Pull out.

Move the the Z position for starting the corner radius.

Radius down to the part-off position.

Part off.

If your corner radius is larger than about 60% of the width of the part-off tool do the radius in two or more cuts.

There must be someone who makes a part off tool, with a chamfer/radius form type insert on it so you would only have the part off motion and as you get to depth, it would generate the desired corner condition.
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Quote Originally Posted by big_mak View Post
    There must be someone who makes a part off tool, with a chamfer/radius form type insert on it so you would only have the part off motion and as you get to depth, it would generate the desired corner condition.
    This can work to do a corner radius on the end of the stock remaining in the chuck but does not work for the piece parted off; the extra cutting load from the corner cut breaks the part off with a larger tip and leaves a ridge where the corner cut stops.

They do have tools that will part and chamfer at the same time. The problem is they will only chamfer the one side. i belive KBC has them in there cataloge thanks Alvin