586,263 active members*
3,807 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

C6 Turret/Pictures

How do I up-load More Pictures? I have My C6 Turret Finished and I need to know how I can Post more Pics? The unit works Awesome...No hands Tool Changes I edited Mach3 Turn and added an A axis DRO Using MachScreen4.
    Added a Micro Limit Switch on Turret to Home A axis. Also Added a Chip/Coolant Deflector. Really makes The C6 Look Sharp. I wrote a simple turn /center drill/drill/part-off pgm with the Mcodes in place for the Turret and it works soooooo smoothe... I dont have a video cam so I cant post a video.I made everything with the C6 Lathe 6"OD CRS turned to 5". Bob

Right below the quick reply box, click 'go advanced' button.

on the new page, above the text area, look for the paper clip button

a new box will open to let you upload your pic... click browse button.. then find it on your computer, then click upload

I may have some of the wording wrong, but it's all there

Hop this helps some,
    Jack
    Walking is highly over-rated

Pictures

Hey Thank You
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-255L.JPG   MVC-256L.JPG   MVC-257L.JPG   MVC-262L.JPG  

MVC-263L.JPG  

Your welcome,

That's a sweet looking set-up

Cheers,
    Jack
    Walking is highly over-rated

That is superb work on that turret. I have the same lathe in Manual from Grizzly and wondered how it could be done. Due to that lack of features of the Manual lathe, it is a candidate for CNC soon anyway.

Did you use plans for this setup or what?

Again, that is excellent.

awesome work!

A few days ago I found this picture at www.pro.com.sg

I sent a mail to Chan and he told me he didn't tried it yet, it uses a 100:1 harmonic drive and a nema23 bipolar motor.

From your experience with the toolchanger you made, do you think this would work? a 2Nm nema motor times 100 should give 200Nm of holding torque, I guess if this is enough to keep the tools firmly in place.

Pablo

I am needing to build one of these myself for a small lathe project. This is very cool. Great job on this. Fine details as well.

I have been just considering a standard rotary table myself with a snapping spring mechanism or catch release. It would turn all day in one direction without locking, but turn the other way and it would catch on the first tool location and be held mechanically by the catch and the pressure of the motor and gearing to keep it in place.

I just don't want to deal with the air system.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I am needing to build one of these myself for a small lathe project. This is very cool. Great job on this. Fine details as well.

I have been just considering a standard rotary table myself with a snapping spring mechanism or catch release. It would turn all day in one direction without locking, but turn the other way and it would catch on the first tool location and be held mechanically by the catch and the pressure of the motor and gearing to keep it in place.

I just don't want to deal with the air system.
    We share the same boat

When you change direction so lock happens, how do you know when to stop turning the stepper?

Im not sure if OP is ok with us hijaaking his thread

Hiya, Journey-man.
    What type of switch do you have that operates this air cylinder?

I am going to have to use an air cylinder to build a power draw bar anyway, so I might as well get my feet wet with it.

I know I can source the cylinders at Surplus Center.
    Thanks.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by peu View Post
    awesome work!

A few days ago I found this picture at www.pro.com.sg
    Avast detects that this site contains malware (VBS:Malware-gen)

I would love to investigate this site some more but not at the expense of my system.

Relay(switch)

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Hiya, Journey-man.
    What type of switch do you have that operates this air cylinder?

I am going to have to use an air cylinder to build a power draw bar anyway, so I might as well get my feet wet with it.

I know I can source the cylinders at Surplus Center.
    Thanks.
    cnc4pc.com has a 12v miniDC relay
    stcvalve.com has a 4v110-6 12 volt 4way solonoid valve 1/8 NPT
    they also have AC 2000-02 regulator 1/8NPT

Today I visited the local representative of www.intorq.de company, they sell reduction gearboxes, brakes, etc. Im doing the homework for a turret like yours SANS the compressed air, after speaking a while with an engineer about doing it with gearboxes I asked: what if I use a brake?

He replied, its less expensive solution for sure, and suggested to take a look at these brakes: http://www.intorq.de/content/produkt...t.aspx?lang=en

I wonder if one of these can be used to hold the turret safe/firmly in place. What do you think?

Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by peu View Post
    Today I visited the local representative of www.intorq.de company, they sell reduction gearboxes, brakes, etc. Im doing the homework for a turret like yours SANS the compressed air, after speaking a while with an engineer about doing it with gearboxes I asked: what if I use a brake?

He replied, its less expensive solution for sure, and suggested to take a look at these brakes: http://www.intorq.de/content/produkt...t.aspx?lang=en

I wonder if one of these can be used to hold the turret safe/firmly in place. What do you think?

Pablo
    Hi Pablo, I think that a "sure lock up" would be the key. That is why my turret uses air to push the head out, rotate and return to the lock position. I used 8 1/4" dowell pins they fit nicely in .251 reamed holes when it is cycled shut. It will not move when it is in the closed position. Very simple. Bob

I saw the other post where you said you found plans. Where did you happen to find them?

Thanks
    Chris

Plans would be nice at least to get an idea on the mechanicals. Thanks.
    I was initially just going to try and use an existing rotary table with a spring loaded hook as a catch with a switch on it, but after seeing this design, it might just be much better to build from scratch. I really like the idea of locking pins all around. Nice an solid there.

There are two issues I see with the braking idea. First is that it operates using an electromagnet. The second is the same. Shavings and chips would like to stick in any crevices in a magnetic solution. I think they stick just fine without the help of a magnet.
    If the magnet lost power, the tool engaged would just spin and the next tool might spin around and engage or rather crash. Not pretty.

The air cylinder type if it lost air would still be solid and locked. That safety alone makes this more appealing to me.
    Lee

I kept thinking about this brake issue and I think a clutch should be a better option, but not a disc clutch, one with a coupling, like this one: (from http://cnc-projects.de/)

I have this question regarding your turret Bob, what is its external diameter? I mean, after you add turning tools they add something like an inch more to its radius and this would limit the diameter of the pieces you can turn on the C6, right?

Please post more photos, details !!!

Pablo

Hey Pablo,
    I only have Photos of the assembled Turret...I origionally found some drawings on the internet. and I designed the rest to fit the C6. The origional Turret head was 7.25"odX1.75thick...I scaled it to 5.0x1.25thick.The Cylinder was 6.5x4.25 with a bore of 4.0. I scaled it to 4.5 with 3.125 bore X3.5 long. There are alot of pieces to be made. I had to make everything around the Head and Cylinder. The Base has a radial bore in it to nest the Cylinder in . everything had to be on a 3.0" C/L in order for all 8 tools to be rite. Bob

Hi Bob,

As you suggested, Im thinking towards the dowel pins, but I never designed a device using them, I have a couple of questions:

1) how do you prevent movement in the tool plate when the dowel pins are engaged? I mean if they fit too snugly they may be difficult to remove but if you leave the receiver holes too wide you have backslash, this makes the next question obvious: 2) how do you prevent the dowel pins to get locked?

Is there any reference where I can learn more about the dowel pins? Im googling but found no good tutorials.

Thanks!

Pablo

to have any type of positive lock the pins are a must. there are 8 of them so it should help to balance out the error. But there prolly should be more than a couple tenths out of round for the hole pattern itself. The dowel hole would then be reamed to size for a press fit ? A couple tenths over sized would be the tolerances I would hold on the hole sizes for the mate. I would then pray as I added pin by pin testing all locations.

Dowell Pins

Hey Pablo;
    Here is a Link for you;http://www.efunda.com/processes/mach...drill_ream.cfm

The Dowells in the Turret are Pilot drilled through the cylinder(.125) Then Reamed .2497 & pressed in from the front side. (the pilot holes are for removing the pins.)The holes in the Turret Head are.251....I made a fixture plate with the same bolt circle to hold the Turret head in order to mill .500 slots and bore .625 holes for drills/bars ect. everything is within .001. It has to be in order for the whole thing to come together. Bob