586,106 active members*
3,231 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Excitech controller quest

This thead has been created to capture the work done to figure out the pinout of the 50pin connector of the RZNC-0501 as used on the Excitech 1324 Router.

So far we know

+5VDC seems to go to pins 14 & 37
    Gnd is pin 50 (there may be more though)
    Pin 18 seems to be the Cutter Adjustment Device (CAD) input
    Pin 32, X axis home input
    Pin 33, Z axis home input
    Pin 19, Y axis home input

Two TI MC3468's are used between the connector and the motor interfaces.

A oscilloscope is on it way and should be here next week.

I hope to jog the different axis and log the different pins action.

Update would follow.

K

Oscilloscope received, signal tracing would start today

K

Initial testing started and it is pretty hard to establish a good setup to probe the pins. I turned the BB card upside down and did a test run but it was a little hard. I would bring my laptop with the "Round numbers" on tonight and try to work the machine using the DSP as mentioned.

Any one interested reading this thread?

K

Exclamation Perhaps I can Save You Some Time

Matty Zee and everybody;

I had this manual of the 0501 lying around. I want you all to have it. There's no sense in you having to chase all those wires down.

The pinouts are on pages 6 and 7. If you are unable to download the file attachment, it can be downloaded from our mirror site at: RZNC-0501 Manual

All the Best to You,

Josh Glenn
    www.camaster.com
    www.cncexperts.com

P.S. - If this information has been helpful, and you feel so inclined. Josh Glenn accepts voluntary donations through PayPal. Make a Donation

Quote Originally Posted by Matty Zee View Post
    This thead has been created to capture the work done to figure out the pinout of the 50pin connector of the RZNC-0501 as used on the Excitech 1324 Router.

So far we know

Two TI MC3468's are used between the connector and the motor interfaces.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wow, thank you very much Josh Glenn.

I would do a test tonight to confirm since I have no idea which DSP I have, old or new but I would get back as soon as possible.

Thank's

Kent

Controller version

Kent,

Send me a photo of your handheld and your interface board (the board in the control box that the 50 pin mini connector attaches to). I'll make sure you get the right manual.

Thanks,

Josh

Not more work performed today but..

I did not manage to get my hands on any probing tonight. The main task has been to make that dust shoe working and my 4th axis.

Attached is pic of the BB which is in the machines "engine compartment". We have also discussed the topic in the main thread where I posted pics of the handheld controller : http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...46637&page=173

Have you run a machine using a crossover cable and a PC through the BB inside the machine? I had a sneaking feeling that this was the way the machines sold using Mach3 was configured but I have not received any feedback on this from the factory.

Thank's a bunch again.
    You're help is highly appreciated and I guess a donation is in it's place if this would work out

Regards
    Kent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1111.jpg   BB_under_J1.jpg   Breakoutb.jpg   Probingsetup.jpg  

T
    Seems i had my number wrong, i thought the pin numbers wrap around like a DB-25 pinout, but they don't. So with the proper pin number the above become

+5VDC seems to go to pins 14 & 39
    Gnd is pin 26 (there may be more though)
    Pin 44, X axis home input
    Pin 43, Z axis home input

But these still don't agree with Josh's doco. Josh, in the photo, it looks like pins 14 and 39 are connected, but your doco has one at +5V and the other ground. Also, the Cutter Adjsut Device is connected to LED D14, which is easily traced to pin 19 on the photo.
    It is possible there are different versions? Were did you get your pinout?

I've been thinking about it a bit more and i reckon it would be far easier to make your own breakout board and replace RZNC-0501 completely... You should be able to source the appropriate connectors (green and orange ones) and connect directly to the motor drives (via appropriate protection circuitry). If you don't, you have to make a custom board anyway as you'll need to convert the parallel port signal into differential signals.

I'll be interested to see how you go Kent. I don't actually own an Excitech but have become familiar with them as i have gone to see Rockets in action numberous times and was hoping to keep up with the developments in case he wanted to change over the Mach3.

Breakout Board Design

Kent,

Yes. I have such a breakout board, and the schematic for building others. Are you looking for something like that? Or, are you happy with the handheld controller?

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Kent_Norway View Post
    I did not manage to get my hands on any probing tonight. The main task has been to make that dust shoe working and my 4th axis.

Attached is pic of the BB which is in the machines "engine compartment". We have also discussed the topic in the main thread where I posted pics of the handheld controller : http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...46637&page=173

Have you run a machine using a crossover cable and a PC through the BB inside the machine? I had a sneaking feeling that this was the way the machines sold using Mach3 was configured but I have not received any feedback on this from the factory.

Thank's a bunch again.
    You're help is highly appreciated and I guess a donation is in it's place if this would work out

Regards
    Kent

Quote Originally Posted by highoctanecnc View Post
    Kent,

Yes. I have such a breakout board, and the schematic for building others. Are you looking for something like that? Or, are you happy with the handheld controller?

Josh
    Hey Josh,

You're obviously far more experienced than me with these things.
    Did you replace the BB with your own or make a new interface or controller to connect to the 50 pin cable?

Cheers

Matty

Kent,

Josh
    Josh

I have been pretty happy with the DSP setup for easy tasks, but the system was ordered with a 4th axis support. This was a Firmware update on the DSP and then I had to buy a extra Yako to connect the axis.

The solution gives however a very limited functionality where the 4th axis has to manually be moved with the DSP. No auto indexing and no milling while rotating for 3D work.

So I have been looking for a way to implement this using a PC and possible Mach3. Some have done so with additional BB and I have looked at "The smooth stepper" and also "The Brain" :

http://www.safeguardrobotics.com/def...x?tab=cncbrain
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59763

I did make my own circuit-boards and stuff when I was younger but I really do not feel the eager to pick up that glove again.

So the easiest way would for me to connect a PC through the BB in the machine or possible buy something which some one has been testing out and found working without to much hassle.

I really need the machine to be safe and well functioning but not with a proprietary solution which would make me sitting alone with a problem.
    This is the reason for checking the pinouts.

So any solution which is well proved and known is of interest for me.

Regards
    Kent

We've Done Both

We've Actually Done Both Successfully. The advantage of using an "adapter" interface is that you can switch between the handheld and some other controller quickly and you don't have to make major adjustments to the machine itself.

Josh

Hey Josh,

You're obviously far more experienced than me with these things.
    Did you replace the BB with your own or make a new interface or controller to connect to the 50 pin cable?

Cheers

Matty

We've Actually Done Both Successfully. The advantage of using an "adapter" interface is that you can switch between the handheld and some other controller quickly and you don't have to make major adjustments to the machine itself.

Josh
    Josh

I'm interested in you're solution, could you drop me a email with some info or would you post the details up here in case ?

Could you please let me know you're config? As I understand you have made a bridge board between the standard BB inside the machine and the PC, or have you knocked out the stock BB and went for a commercial BB in stead?

My idea was to be able to use the stock BB card where I could switch between the stock DSP for simple use and then change cables and connect the PC when doing 4th axis work.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated and if you have a bullet proof setup I would be keen on buying the parts for it (With hopefully guidance from you in respect of setup and NC SW - Mach3 or others).

I PM you my email address.

K

If the pin out is correct, can't we just add the correct pins from the printer port just using the + inputs and grounding the - input on the BB ?

Do we really need a different card in between Josh ?

Have not had my hands on my machine today, but would get to it tomorrow.

K

Good Question

Kent, That is an excellent question. The short answer is: If you use the BB that is in the machine now, you cant just wire straight to a 50 pin adapter and plug it in, because it accepts differential inputs.

So either you use an intermediary board that converts from plain step and direction to differential signals, or, you remove all the breakout boards and tap directly into the wires of the machine. (This will probably void any manufacturer's warranty.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kent_Norway View Post
    If the pin out is correct, can't we just add the correct pins from the printer port just using the + inputs and grounding the - input on the BB ?

Do we really need a different card in between Josh ?

Have not had my hands on my machine today, but would get to it tomorrow.

K

Thank you for the feedback.

I guess the only use for the pin out is then for those who would like to make their own breakout board in-between the stock BB and the PC. This would in case be because the user would like to switch between the stock DSP setup and a PC.

So in practical terms we either need to solder a custom card with some serial to differential converters to be able to get this to work.

If not we just rip out he stock BB card and buy "the brain" or a "Smooth stepper" if I understand things correct... ?

Anyway, thank's for you're feedback, even though I was hoping for a simple solution.

Kent