586,110 active members*
3,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > New Shopmaster. What to do 1st.

New Shopmaster. What to do 1st.

I recently got a Patriot uncrated and into place in my small shop. This is my first metalworking machine.

The X-Y axes are level. All the cosmoline is removed. The DRO is connected and working. (DRO & CNC added by Shoptask.)

It came with Mach3 which is supposed to contain some entry level CAD package. I have not installed it or connected the computer.

I am asking for advise on what to do next in the way of checking out the machine. Anything in particular I need to be looking for?

Hg,
    Training is always good, no matter what your skill level is. If you have a local vocational school, ask the instructor if you can audit the class- explain that you have your own machine, so you won't take away any machine time from the paying students. If this is not practical, maybe you have a machinist friend who will offer some advice. In either case, spend some time learning the machine in its manual mode. Do some projects and learn the machine's limitations in speed and power. I'm sure its tempting to jump right into CNC mode, but if you don't have that basic knowledge, you are going to ruin a lot of parts and tools. I had an older Shoptask before I bought the Patriot, so I got my basic skill level up and made a lot of parts ( and money) with the old machine. The Patriot has a lot of advanced features that it didn't have. I am still researching the CNC option trying to decide to buy or build it myself. This forum has a lot of good info if you search it out.

How about showing us a few picture of your machine set up in your shop. And where are you located a few people may want to come by a see the machine first hand .

Will do- I am now working on a project that may be of interest to this group. When I get it done I will post some pictures. If anyone wants to see my machine, send me a private message and we will see if I am within a reasonable distance.

I was talking about HP's machine not yours. You already took your machine appart and fixed the problems. Dont you remember you showed us the pictures of it appart. We want to see a machine straight from shoptask with the CNC installed.

????

1) Check the gearbox for nasty bits and drop a magnet in the bottom
    2) Check the tailstock center height and make sure travel is parallel to the ways
    3) Measure runout in the mill spindle bore
    4) Take the chuck off and make sure the backplate is running true
    5) Take a test cut and check the ammount of taper on the lathe
    6) Check and see if the mill spindle is square to the table

I would also deffinitely spend a good amount of time running the machine manually before attempting any CNC work. It's important to be familiar with the personality of your particular machine as far as feeds/speeds/likes/dislikes. Going by any table or charts will get you into trouble. The ST is not the kind of machine that those machining tables were developed for.

runout on the milling head/drilling chuck

My NonCNC Shoptask had a problem with the drilling chuck runout. Thinking that it was just a cheap chuck I popped it off and tried to install a new one from ENCO. Nice looking chuck but it not only wobbles horribly, it won't even stay on the taper!

In that some of you have been recommending various new-machine checks, has this been a problem for you?

Now that you've spent a ton of money on the machine, expect to spend a ton more. Each new project and each new catalog from Enco, MSC, Travers, and all the other tool suppliers will have that tool "you can't live without".

Start with a better vice, the new one that JT supplies is much better that what came with my Bridgemill, but still can't compare with a Kurt or even a Kurt knock off. A uick change tool post is almost a must have. Don't forget measuring tools, 0-6" micrometers, dial or digital calipers, dial indicators of various strokes, last word indicators, surface plate and height gage, angle plates, jo blocks, and the list goes on and on.

Almost every week my wife threatens to shut off my Paypal account.

As far as things to do, most of the other guys covered the basics. Something they forgot was setting up limit switches and an E stop. Before you start using the CNC options, these are very important features to have. On the bridgemill they were non existant. I don't know if the Patriot has them or not. You want limit switches on each axis to protect from hitting hard stops on the machine (like running a tool into the chuck).

An E stop is even more important. With the Bridgemill, the instructions said to plug everthing into a power strip and have the poerstrip located where you can turn it off quickly. Kind of a hokie set up if you ask me. I used the hole between the mill and lathe switches (on the Patriot, it is below the lathe switch and put a mushroom switch operator wit a NC and NO switch block. The NO switch block controls a relay that removes power from the spindles when pushed (SPDT relay wired to the NC contacts). The NC switch is wired thru my break out board to indicate to Mach that an Estop has been hit. I'm using a CNC4PC C11G BOB so I am also using the same circuit to disable the break out board. Net result, when the Estop is pushed, power is removed from the spindles and the BOB is disabled and Mach is triggered with an Estop. Spindles stop and machine movements stop.

Sorry to be long winded, but safety is important with these tools.

Glad to hear you have a new Shoptask and hope that it is a positive experiance for you. Show us pictures when you can and give us regular updates on your progress.

David