586,114 active members*
3,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Great Shop Compressor: Please Read
Page 1 of 2 12

Exclamation Great Shop Compressor: Please Read

Hello everyone,

I just wanted too let everyone know on this great little compressor I got today at Home Depot. I always wanted a compressor, nothing big, nothing fancy.

Husky Products: 90.00 , 2 gallon tank, 100pis max output. It also came with a nice nail gun and a staple gun and plenty of accessories; coiled black hose, extra nipples.

Right now it's being used for air compression and cleaning of chips in the enclosure. (Came with the little hand gun). But it's nice too know that it came with two guns for around the shop use.

I bought it for the price and because I will also be using it too paint my Jet ski. Need too get the spray gun etc.

Pictures tomorrow! Just wanted everyone too know

-Jason

How loud is it? I have a 20 gallon, 1.7 HP Porter Cable for my blasting cabinet and that sucker is LOUD. I was thinking of getting a small compressor for mist/air blast coolant on a CNC mill. But if it's anywhere near as loud as my big one, forget it.

Would that Husky be OK to run in a small room without ear protection?

Glad you like your new toy.:rainfro:

Thanks,
    Serge

Yea, I had it in my shop without ear protection. Mind you, my shop is not huge and theres nothing too dampen the walls. Worse comes too worst, make a box with foam lining. I have heard other compressors, this one is not as loud, makes noise, but that bad.

It's kinda annoying, but hey...it's my shop. I got music going etc.

I really love it!

-Jason

I looked at that one too Jason and I missed the deal for the next size up with two nail guns for $99. However in my research I discovered a compressor that size is not good for painting. You have to pay attention to the CFM rating on both your compressor and the paint gun that you buy. The compressor has to have the cfm for the paint gun.

True True, It said you can use for paint. Plus, the compressor only needs too be down too 25 PSI for the paint too be applied. I'll figure it out.

I'll need too get a matching spray gun. I'm not doing big continuous painting, just a few sprays back and forth. I really should be ok.

-Jason

Speeds - I purchased a similar, albeit slightly smaller, compressor for home depot. It's LOUD, but critical to clear chips... here's my setup: http://tinyurl.com/6ljajv
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Yea come too think of it. It is pretty loud.

-Jason

If it is oiless then it's probably pretty loud.

nice!

i recently got a 3hp, 20gallon air compressor for 75$ from a dads friend. Really is a nice thing to have around. BTW i have airbrushed just fine with a VERY cheap crappy compressor

Remember to drain the tank regularly, you don't want the water that builds up ruining your paint work!
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Kaser (sp?) makes a really quiet 5hp unit. but its a screw design and cost like $5K, but i saw it at westec and had a conversation with the rep right next to it at normal speech volume.
    -Jeff

Well if a compressor cost 5k Id rather take that 5K and put towards new machinery! Yikes!

-Jason

Speeds - I hear ya re: $5K for new equipment, but trust me.. Once you've been around a rotary screw compressor, you'll fall in love.

I have a Campbell Housefeld belt-drive compressor that I payed $150 for on Craigslist. It's given me many years of reliable service and it's quiet enough that I can use it in the garage at 3:00 AM.

Basically if you want a cheap quiet compressor, go with a belt-drive. Stay away from direct-drive units at all cost.

Neil - any recommendations for a new, compact belt drive compressor?

Quote Originally Posted by tikka308 View Post
    Neil - any recommendations for a new, compact belt drive compressor?
    Craftsman, Campbell Hausfeld, any of the ones at your local hardware store or home improvement store (or department store in the case of Sears). When you're looking at the different models, simply look for a belt. If you can't find one, it will be super-loud. Looking online, they seem to run from $300-500 new. I would recommend at least 5 gallon. EDIT: make that 15-20 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    Well if a compressor cost 5k Id rather take that 5K and put towards new machinery! Yikes!

-Jason
    No, put 4.5k toward the new machinery and 0.5k to larger compressor and a sound dampening enclosure.

But if you are equipping a full size shop and will be working there full time go for the screw compressors. Piston compressors are noisy and cannot be run on a 100% duty cycle so a 10cfm rated compressor is really only good for 5 cfm. Screw compressors are quiet and can be run constantly at their rated output.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Horrible noisy things.

No problems down my shop where we share one large compressor between three units. It's down the other end of the yard in it's own little room.

At home I got moaned at when I forgot to switch ol' noisy off at night. I finally gave up and bought one of those silent ones with two refrigerator motors on the top, the kind dentists use. Not very powerful or reliable but it came with a two year warranty so I shall get my monies worth. Probably

what about pics?

...Hey!, Hey!...where are the pics!...lol, yeah I was looking for something just right, not too big, not too small...to replace a homemade one i made from an old york AMC Eagle air conditioning unit. My homemade aircompressor somehow grew feet, ran out of my secured shop, cross the lot and jumped the fence and was gone! Maybe back to it's air conditioning family (dare I say it?) Unit...lol, yeah i don't want to go through the trouble this time, I'll just by another aircompressor. if someone could share pics of the Home depot unit...lol.
    "Are you gonna eat that?"

Be wary... if you are running lots of flood coolant near your running compressor.

It will suck up all the moisture.

Page 1 of 2 12