586,455 active members*
3,559 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Speed Increaser TM1

Hello, I have a Bristol Speed Increaser that I wish to attach to my TM1.
    This will allow me to run higher RPM small cutters without hammering the poor TM1 at a limited 4K RPM all day.

I am not sure the best way to mount the speed up head. I need to provide a “drive pin” location, as can be seen in the picture below.

First look, I was thinking about attaching with two of the six set screws that the TM1 has in the bottom of the spindle. But I don’t know what is behind here and I am concerned about removing two of the bolts and extending them. (The drive motor may be set in pre-compression housing, messing about with the end load may not be a good idea).

The alternative is a large ring around the outside, a bit like Pits Coolant ring, but with provision for the drive pin.

Programming for a speed up head.

I would think it necessary to tell the machine there is a Speed increaser present, I would like to set the machine to get up to speed a little slower than normal, so as not to overload the motor with all that inertia, and to take the strain off the speedup gear box. Is there a setting for this?

Many thanks for your advice and help in advance.

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00283_3.jpg  

Have a look at the right hand side on the bottom face of the end flange on the spindle nose. You should see two holes about 1-5/8" apart that are tapped 8-32 (I think). These are used to attach the speeder anchor block from Haas.

Incidentally you do not need to worry about 'hammering the poor TM1' at 4k all day, it can handle it. Our Haas machines run most of the time at their max rpm whether it be 6000, 7500 or 10,000; they are designed to do that.

You also do not really need to 'tell the machine' a speeder is present; you need to take it into account with your feed and you need to recognise that the speeder reduces torque available at the cutter by more than the speed ratio due to friction losses. This means you will probably have to use lower feed rates than would be possible with direct drive at the same cutter rpm.

It is possible to reduce the spindle acceleration by Parameter 196 Sp ACCEL LIMIT LOAD; out of the factory this is set at 195. To change this you need to turn Setting 7 off and push Estop then enter your value. I do not think it is really necessary to worry about it; if the speeder cannot handle the acceleration load how is it going to handle any cutting load.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks Geof, as ever a very fast reply.
    I will look out for those tapped holes and make a part to take the drive pin.

Thanks for the parameter settings info, I think I will turn it down a little for this speed increaser. We are not in production so a few milliseconds will not matter for us.

Again, thanks for your help.

Dan

If you do not mind where did you purchase the spindel increaser I have Been for one
    thanks
    RMILES

I got it at an auction. It does not appear to have done that much work.
    I get quite a few machine's and tools from Auction, but you do take some risk. Hope that helps. Dan

Thanks I will do some looking
    RMILES