586,061 active members*
4,436 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > MillTabs / Bridges

MillTabs / Bridges

Hi

We're new to edgecam (just installed it last week). We were previosuly using 2D software (Enroute) to program our CNC routers, but chose to make the leap to Edgecam as it integrated well with Solidworks.

The problem I'm having is this...

We're milling polyethylene foam inserts (to fit inside specialized cases). Our stock material is polyethylene foam (108" L X 48" W X 2" TH). As foam is a flexible substrate, we need to place "tabs" or "bridges" - joining the "finished" parts to the stock to prevent the parts from moving (we're using a vacuum table to hold the stock in place). Our tabs are typically 1/2" long and 3/16" to 1/4" high (off the bottom). We're doing a simple outer cut / mill path along the outside perimeter of each part.

In Enroute there is an option to place tabs / bridges along the outer toolpath - we haven't been able to figure out how to do the same in Edgecam. Is there any way to do this?

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Greg Hamlen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails foam insert assembly exploded.jpg  

Nope!

No automatic way anyway. You'll have to create geometry where you want the tabs to be and machine them as if they were part of the componenet.

I would advise to look at mastercam before you deep submerge with edgecam
    there are special features for your tasks with tabs

I don't know much about edgecam myself. I will just relate that Sheetcam is a fine 2.5 D cam package for very little money. It isn't really integrated with Turbocad, but it works like a perfect fit.
    It have very nice tabs and you can make them as wide or deep as you want. It also has lead ins and outs, ramping, pecking, zigzag or spiral pockets and lots more. The software is also updated almost weekly, but at least once a month.
    Not that much learning curve either.
    Just an idea that you can look into for nothing and buy for about $150.
    The newer Sheetcam TNG also has a feature I kinda like. It shows the exact cutter geometry, so you can look to see at what percentage of stepover a pocket is completely removed. I think it is certainly worth a look.
    Lee

No way to do it in Edgecam that I know of. Inflateable is right, You'd have to build it into the geometry and chain it as your path. And AK762 is right also. Mastercam Router package has tabs as a toolpath option.

Mike
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Use boundries. It will not go outside the boundries. So you have your tab between 2 or more set of boundries.

Bent

I just cut the profiles in CAD leaving enough material for a tab. I have not seen any facility in Edgecam for tabs.
    Patrick

Thanks for the feedback guys... We'll keep on trying.

Best regards,

Greg