586,094 active members*
3,891 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Orientation problem

I am nearing the point to start cutting, but I have a orientation and scaling issue. I also cannot seem to get Stepconf to work properly for me (have the 2.2.2 version)

My X axis is left to right - Unexpected
    My Y axis is down to up - Expected
    1" in drawing units = 2" machine units - Unexpected

Any thoughts?

BMG

BMG,

I'm not familiar with EMC yet but here's the way I thought it out:
    Just like in CAD the basic view is X,Y,Z = 0,0,0 in the lower left hand corner. Starting from 0,0,0; X is left to right (+), Y is down to up (+) and Z is right at you (+). So that's the way I set my machine up looking from above it.
    Are you half stepping your motors? That would equal 2 microsteps.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by BMG View Post
    My X axis is left to right - Unexpected
    Dyslexia and late nights kicking in.

I should have stated

Right to Left - Unexpected

Right now, the Axis panel shows the origin in the lower left (expected), but when making actual moves on the table, the origin is in the lower right (unexpected).

Dyslexia and late nights kicking in.

I should have stated

Right to Left - Unexpected

Right now, the Axis panel shows the origin in the lower left (expected), but when making actual moves on the table, the origin is in the lower right (unexpected).
    I need some more info to help you.

Are you moving in negative x coordinates?
    What drive (controller) are you using?
    Are you using fullstep, halfstep, or some microstep? If microstep, how many?
    What is the tpi of your screws?
    Are you running direct drive or geared?

Alan

If I place tool at origin (0,0,0) which is lower left on my machine, X moves into the negative, meaning it hits a dead end since the gantry can not travel in the negative from this point.

Machine is a gantry router(Lionclaw kit) with 3 axis Hobbycnc controller

Stepping - unsure - back to this

10-1 acme thread

Direct drive

the Stepping... I attempted to use the Stepconf wizard and the machine would not respond at all.

I am using the standard Stepper_in setup that is in the example configs. I have been churning through the integrator manual and cannot seem to figure out the variable related to TPI. I suspect that its defaulting to a 20 tpi screw somehow.

I would post my file, except its on my linux machine in the garage and it has ho internet access. Working off windos here and I cannot seem to transfer files between the two on disks/flash drives.

I did run the latency test and its around 19,000ns if that helps at all.

If I place tool at origin (0,0,0) which is lower left on my machine, X moves into the negative, meaning it hits a dead end since the gantry can not travel in the negative from this point.

Machine is a gantry router(Lionclaw kit) with 3 axis Hobbycnc controller

Stepping - unsure - back to this

10-1 acme thread

Direct drive

the Stepping... I attempted to use the Stepconf wizard and the machine would not respond at all.

I am using the standard Stepper_in setup that is in the example configs. I have been churning through the integrator manual and cannot seem to figure out the variable related to TPI. I suspect that its defaulting to a 20 tpi screw somehow.

I would post my file, except its on my linux machine in the garage and it has ho internet access. Working off windos here and I cannot seem to transfer files between the two on disks/flash drives.

I did run the latency test and its around 19,000ns if that helps at all.
    BMG,

If your "INPUT SCALE" is set at 4000 then it is defaulting to 20tpi single step or 10tpi half step.

Is you 10-1 acme screw single start or 2 start?

Based on the fact that you are traveling twice as far as you expect, you need to divide the value in your "INPUT SCALE" for that axis in half.

It appears that your drivers are full step unipolar drives. So for 10 tpi you "INPUT SCALE" value in your ini file should be 2000. If your screw is 2 start (that is effectively 5tpi), your INPUT SCALE value would need to be 1000.

It is possible to reverse the the axis that is going the wrong direction two different ways. One way is to swap the b and B wires from the stepper to the drive. The other way is to just put a '-' sign in front of the INPUT SCALE value.

Let me know if this helps.

Alan

Thanks Alan

As to the scaling, I figured that the input scale had something to do with it but I was unable to find anything discussing the calculation.

I will try the "-" first on the input scale then switch the wires as a 2nd alternative.

My though was to switch the A-a with the B-b set of wires so I am glad I asked first.

I'll report back later on my progress.

Brian

Thanks Alan

As to the scaling, I figured that the input scale had something to do with it but I was unable to find anything discussing the calculation.

I will try the "-" first on the input scale then switch the wires as a 2nd alternative.

My though was to switch the A-a with the B-b set of wires so I am glad I asked first.

I'll report back later on my progress.

Brian
    OK.

Good luck,
    Alan

Fixed!

Scale was set at 4000

changed it to 2000 and viola, 2=2. I guess my controller is set for full steps at the moment. Maybe after I am up and running, I will change it to half steps.

Orientation

I tried the "-" on the input scale for the 0_axis (my X) and had no luck. Actually I lost power to the controller and it spooked me so I decided the wire swapping was a safer bet.

Swapped the B and b wires and orientation is fixed.

Thanks for you help Alan.

Brian

Scale was set at 4000

changed it to 2000 and viola, 2=2. I guess my controller is set for full steps at the moment. Maybe after I am up and running, I will change it to half steps.

Orientation

I tried the "-" on the input scale for the 0_axis (my X) and had no luck. Actually I lost power to the controller and it spooked me so I decided the wire swapping was a safer bet.

Swapped the B and b wires and orientation is fixed.

Thanks for you help Alan.

Brian
    Your welcome,

Always glad to help someone, when I can.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by acondit View Post
    It is possible to reverse the the axis that is going the wrong direction two different ways. One way is to swap the b and B wires from the stepper to the drive. The other way is to just put a '-' sign in front of the INPUT SCALE value.

Let me know if this helps.

Alan
    A year later and your kind advice has helped another! I couldn't figure out how to reverse the direction of my Z-axis without swapping wires. Thanks Alan!

- Dean