586,217 active members*
3,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question SX3 2x spindle belt

Today I decided to change the 1x belt/pulley of our SX3 to the 2X one to get the maximum RPM out of the mill.
    Long story short, after a few minutes of running it broke

So here are my questions:

Why the belts are different? I mean the 1X belt is 5M450 and the 2X is S5M450 both 20mm wide, take a look at this picture to see the differences in the profile:

Luckily I can get replacements (5M) at a local shop for $11 a pop, but I still wonder why it broke.

Besides the belt/pulley change is there any adjustment I need to do to the mach3 configuration?

Also when tried to remove the 2X pulley its very difficult to remove, any tricks to take it away again?

Thanks!

no one?

Me again, if someone can send me the mach3mill.xml file for a SX3 running at 3600 RPM I will really appreciate it.

My email:

Thanks in advance.

Pablo

Hi peu! I have never broken a SX3 drive belt. This could have just been a defective belt. Also, these belts are very vulnerable to pulley misalignment, anything rubbing, or even too much tension.

CR.

I just installed the 5M-450/20mm belt and Im testing it, Im not sure what broke it, luckily the replacement was not expensive and readily available at a local shop.
    Came to this computer too see if someone sent me the XML file (no one yet)

Speed Change

I have been running my SX3 for about a year with the high speed belt and pulley change without any problems. I haven't checked the two belts to see if they are the same format. I don't have any way to send a video as I have no camera. Sorry.

OM

Quote Originally Posted by Old Megawatts View Post
    I have been running my SX3 for about a year with the high speed belt and pulley change without any problems. I haven't checked the two belts to see if they are the same format. I don't have any way to send a video as I have no camera. Sorry.

OM
    Can you send me your mach3mill.xml to ?
    I want to compare it with mine. Thanks!

I just made a video of the SX3 back in action machining a 3D profile, Im opening a new thread with it soon

Pablo

Machine works fine again, now I have a question. I didn't touched anything in the mach3 config yet after changing to the 2X pulley.
    My math says that if I start the spindle with M3 S1500 it should run at 3000RPM because the motor has a larger pulley. Well... the display keeps displaying around 1500, now Im confused, its running at 1500 or 3000? from now on I need to do mental calculations to set the spindle speed? Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Pablo

Hi Pablo,
    I think if you change your spindle/pulley settings in Mach3 your speed readings will be closer to what they should read. My speeds indicated on the machine display are not exact but within a hundred RPM or so. I believe I'm using:
    pulley #4 min 80 max 3600 ratio 1

Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Exclamation What version ?

I believe the earlier Syil boards can be made to display correctly because they have some pots that can be adjusted, and there is a link that is supposed to change the scaling.
    Later X3 pcbs have no pots or link. You are stuck with 50% reading without firmware changes (which don't exist. Any body fixed this?).
    Set Mach3 PWM value such that voltage on the PWM signal on the BOB measures 5v at 3600 RPM (commanded from Mach3). That is as good as it will get.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.