586,852 active members*
2,301 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Exclamation Hypertherm Powemax 1650

I bought my 1650 about 2 years ago and had no problems for the first year, then I started getting the "Consumables Stuck" error light. the problem has steadily got worse to the point that my production is cut in half. I have had a service tech and one of the top guys from Hypertherm, Jim Akinhead (hope I spelled it right) come and look at my machine.

After several hours and several phone calls to engineers in New hampshire, the problem still persists.

I have switched power supplies and leads and still have the same problem.

the 1650 is set up as a CNC.

Table made by Retro Systems in Kansas.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this problem.

Material ranges from .050 aluminum to .190 aluminum and 16 ga steel to .375 steel.

I follow the cut charts in manual and many variations but just can't seem to fix the problem.

Already checked air, consumables, etc.

If anyone has any ideas about fixing this or what may be causing the problem please post as I am about to go crazy.

Thanks in advance.

Hi: We own a 1650 and have been using it (trouble free for 3 yrs) on a CNC table. Please describe the symptoms ie. what does the fault consumeables stuck mean? I'm aware that there are moving parts in the torch head, so I'd like to get an idea of the fault.

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

From what Hypertherm told me is that there is a plunger inside that pushes the electrode back down before each cut. Not far but enough to make contact again so the torch can fire. The consumables stuck errror will be a red light on the power supply that stays on for 10 seconds then disappears and the torch won't fire until the error is fixed by taking the consumables apart and putting them back together.

Thanks: After the fault occurrs, and you remove and replace the same consumeable, does the unit work again? If yes, I'd suspect a problem within the torch head, mechanical in nature. If you are peircing, it's possible that some slag gets into the nozzle? Also have a look at the moving parts and look for obvious defects, after the fault occurrs. The other thing you could try are some consumeables from a third party.

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

I had same problem, I dissasembled torch and problem was in wires on micro switch inside torch

I have tried everything I could think of, from changing to 3rd party consumables to even putting a new torch lead and head on, to changing power supplies. Still have the problem.

I did pull apart the torch head and found the two wires for the consumable switch melted to the main power wire. I fixed that and it helped some but still not running 100%.

The stuck consumables error on Powermax units means.....the consumables are stuck! The electrode slides freely inside the composite (high temp, high dialectric plastic) swirl ring....when the torch is idle, the electrode is in contact with the nozzle. When you initiate a start signal...the DC power comes on....negative to the electrode and positive to the nozzle.....at this point they are shorted. When the air pressure arrives to the torch a few miliseconds later...the increase in pressure forces the electrode away from the nozzle creating a short circuit spark...this spark ionizes (makes it electrically conductive) the air...and starts the plasma cutting process.

If the electrode sticks.....so it cannot make contact with the nozzle.....or so that it stays in contact with the nozzle....the torch will not fire and the error signal is generated. Here are the normal causes:

1. Dirty torch body.
    2. Used up consumables....the end of the electrode that contacts the nozzle will get carbonized with moisture and oil and other things from your air system. If it is not worn beyond use...clean it so it is shiny with a scotchbrite pad....same with the inner bore of the nozzle.
    3. Overtightened retaining cap will distort the swirl ring...and cause the electrode to stick. Just snug the retaining cap...it does not need to be super tight.
    4.Damaged, worn, or improperly manufactured swirl ring.
    5. Mixing brands of torch parts. If you use a Hypertherm electrode with other brand swirl ring or nozzle or retaining cap....all bets are off. It is best to use genuine Hypertherm parts....but if you want to use another brand.....use all the parts from the same manufacturer. Mixing parts will cause "stack up" tolerance issues that can cause the moving parts to stick.
    6. Damaged, worn or dirty plunger assembly inside the torch body. You can download the service manual from the www.hypertherm.com website for free.....it has a break down of the internal workings of the torch...the plunger and microswitch assemblies are rebuildable.
    7. If you are using an aftermarket electrode that does not have a spiral groove (like the factory Hypertherm electrode has)....then expect overheating of the plunger assembly in the torch. The spiral groove is a patented heat exchanger that draws the high temperature generated at the electrode (as much as 3000 F) away from the internal components of the torch.

Jim Colt

Smile Hypertherm powermax 1000 with hand torch

Hi Jim,
    I need your help. I will order hypertherm powermax 1000 with hand torch from E-bay. I don't know how many horse power(HP) of air compressor is compatible with this model? What pressure(bars) should I use it as operation? Pls advise me.

Mongkol

Mongkol,

Check the replies to your same question on the Plasmacutting site.....do not buy a compressor based on horsepower ratings! Buy a compressor based on cfm (cubic feet per minute...or litres per minute) at a given pressure. The rating for the Hypertherm Powermax 1000 is 6.7 cfm @ 90 psi. Make sue the compressor you order is close to double this rating....then it will not run continuously when you are plasma cutting.

Jim

Jim, I have tried all those things and my air is clean. (We have a dryer installed) Even put a new lead on the machine and still the same problem.

Not using aftermarket consumables now cause they did not fix the problem.

I just want to know why after 2 brand new power supplies and 3 leads I have that problem?

You can get in touch with Jim Akinhead with Hypertherm and ask about Cimarron Trailers and he can tell you we tried all possible checks and fixes.

CBurner,

I have sent a message to Jim Aitkenhead....and to Hypertherm's internal "voice of the customer" program for review of the issue. We will do our best to determine the root cause of your problem....and solve it.

Best regards, Jim Colt

Exclamation Hypertherm powermax 1000 with hand torch

Hi Jim,
    If I change powermax 1000 with hand torch to be cnc system with plasma table, can it use at 6.7 cfm @ 90 psi for air compressor?

Mongkol

Mongkol,

The hand and machine torch flow exactly the same.

You can get all of these specs off the www.hypertherm.com website....all operator and service manuals are downloadable....as well as the brochure with this type of information.

The spec is: 6.7cfm (189 litres/min) @ 90 psi (6.2 bar) This spec is the actual flow rate with the largest nozzle in the torch....so your compressor should be sized larger than this...or it will operate continuously. I would recomend at least twice the flow rating.

Jim

Hi Jim,
    Big Thanks for the information.

Mongkol

Hi Jim,
    I have one another question.Do you mean I should use air compressor at 6.7 x 2 =13.4 cfm (189 x 2 = 378 litres/min)@90 psi (6.2 bar) if I want to run continuously?

Mongkol

Yes....I wouln't go any smaller than that...bigger is better. You should also look at a refrigerated air dryer. People have had good luck with the one available at Harbor freight.

Jim

Red face hypertherm power max 1000

Jim,
    Big thank again

CBurner,

Just wanted to let you know...Hypertherm has reviewed the past visits to your facility from our rep.....and we will be sending a factory tech service rep to your site this week to evaluate the problem with your Hypertherm Powermax 1650 system....we'll keep everyone posted regarding the outcome!

Jim Colt

Thanks for looking into it for me.

Page 1 of 2 12