586,108 active members*
3,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > RhinoCAM V-Carving

Thumbs up RhinoCAM V-Carving

Anyone else have problems with V-carve engraving using RhinoCAM?

I just cut a sign out of a $120 piece of aluminum, took 3-1/2 hours and the flippin thing is scrap!(nuts)

Last operation, it comes back to do some radius work in the corners and instead of doing radius', it cuts full circles! POS! And it did not show up in the simulation either... Looks like if I just use regular engraving, everything will be fine, but it's too late... Oh well, the sign was for me and the material was left over from another job so I guess the cost of this lesson is minimal.

BTW, I still use Rhino 3.0, and yes, I've downloaded the updates for v-carve engraving.

Is it REALLY worth it to upgrade to 4.0? Any previous 3.0 users upgrade to 4.0? Good, bad, ugly?

MC

Version 4 is better The interface is a little different needs some practise
    No problems yet with rhinocamI didn't try older version of rhinocam

This is probably something you need to report directly to Mecsoft at their user forum.

Their response is likely to be similar to this: While they do "support" Rhinocam 1 for Rhino V3, they are no longer making any changes or doing any development on that version (for more than a year now), as the current version is RhinoCAM 1 for RhinoV4, and RhinoCAM 2 (which will be Rhino V4/V5 only) is just about to be released. So if it does turn out to be a bug in RhinoCAM 1 for V3, it will not be fixed. They will probably want to see your file to check.

If you are planning to continue with RhinoCAM, you most certainly need to upgrade to Rhino V4. This is a good idea in any case, Rhino V4 is a great advance over V3. You might want to wait for RhinoCAM 2 to come out and upgrade to Rhino4/RhinoCAM 2 at the same time, you will avoid the ~$100 upgrade charge from RhinoCAM 1 for V3 to RhinoCAM 1 for V4 that way. I would call Mecsoft if you can and talk to them, maybe they can cut you a deal for a sequential upgrade, including the Rhino. --ch

Are you sure it's the code and not the control? We have an old router at work that occasionally cut's little circles instead of arcs on G2/G3 due to rounding errors. This is with R format G2/G3's.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Are you sure it's the code and not the control? We have an old router at work that occasionally cut's little circles instead of arcs on G2/G3 due to rounding errors. This is with R format G2/G3's.
    Yes, I did look at that. That was my original thought, but no, it just generated bad code. RhinoCam 1 for Rhino V3.0 originally had A LOT of problems with v-carve engraving. It has since been updated, I've downloaded the update and it's still not correct. It's ok though. It's actually the only problem I've had with the software, everything else has been flawless, plus I'm not in the sign making business, just wanted to make a billet aluminum sign for the shop wall.

MC

Was there a resolution for this problem. I am having the same problem running RhinoCam 2. Wondering if this is a settings issue, or if I need a patch.

Just the update. Does what it's supposed to do I guess. I got the sign made, but haven't used V-carving since. Sorry I can't be of more help.

MC

Was there a resolution for this problem. I am having the same problem running RhinoCam 2. Wondering if this is a settings issue, or if I need a patch.
    Again, if you are having a specific problem with RhinoCAM 2, it is best to send the file or an example directly to [email protected] or post it in the Mecsoft forum. They will be able to determine whether it's a bug or just a settings issue. --ch