586,096 active members*
3,739 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Need help lathe on a mill helical or not

Need help lathe on a mill helical or not

I have a bridgeport series II with a heidenhain tnc 151 control.

Turning down .750 outside diameter to a .375 outside diameter .750 depth in 11L17 steel this is leaded free machining steel

Right now I'm using a .625 diameter four flute cobalt endmill running the helical passes around the diameter .0625 wide and .050 depth per rev 900 rpm 10 ipm with flood coolant them I come in .002 circle path around the diameter for cleanup bottom and side.

This makes a beautiful part only problem it only makes about 15 before I start seeing a big taper about .010 changing the endmill straightens it out what can I do to prolong the tooling besides buying a lathe

I think you are maybe running a bit fast and the cut is too small. On something like that using that cutter I would probably run 500 to 600 rpm and make a first pass down taking off nearly the full amount at the same 0.05 depth but maybe half the feed. Then bump the speed for a final clean up pass.

But my preffered cutter would be 1/2 coated carbide running at 2000 rpm, a much faster feed of course, and I would do the clean up with a second cutter. When my first cutter started going I would move the second one up to first and put a new cutter as second.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Yeah that sounds like a good approach I'll give that a try.
    Another thought is maybe getting rid of the helical and just side mill the whole depth and incrementaly moving in

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoad170 View Post
    ......side mill the whole depth and incrementaly moving in
    I think you might get much more deflection especially as you get close to size, and horrendous chatter.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Are there endmills that are more suited for helical milling than a standard square edge endmill

As long as the endmill is center cutting, then It can be used for Helical milling. Maybe if you had a small corner rad on the tool, the tips would last longer, but that's about it.

I really like using the Garr VRX mills for that sort of thing!!!!
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet