586,080 active members*
3,637 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Old junk Makino Wire Cut

I had an opportunity to own two set junk of Makino EDM wire cut, but not sure what will I do with them. Looks like all the junk still have the most of the parts. Here is the list:

- Two set of Main unit
    - Two set of Makino MGW-15 Controller
    - Two set of Fanuc 200C Controller
    - Two set of Display Unit for Fanuc Controller
    - Two set of Pump unit
    - Two set of Filter unit

I had No Experience with this kind of machine before, need some advice here:

- What is the type / number of this machine?
    - Why do they have two kind of controller (Makino MGW-15 & Fanuc 200C)?
    - Where to find any documentation of them?
    - Possible to rebuild?
    - How about retrofitting (with mach3 for example)? They have Fanuc DC Servo Motor on the main unit.

TIA, Ichan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MakinoMainUnit.JPG   MakinoController.JPG   FanucController.JPG   FanucDcServo.JPG  

as long as the machines have a manual generator, you should upgrade to EMC2, the "adaptive feedrate" function will work for edm servo loop control.
    Registered Linux User #348337
    EMC2 Rocks!!!!

Thanks, just downloaded the EMC2 Live CD - will need some time to dig into it before i can ask more. So Mach3 can't do that?

My understanding about the adaptive feedrate, it is to maintain the gap between the wire and the workpiece, how it works? If EMC2 adjust the feedrate based on some feedback, then what kind of feedback? How to know if the machine has "manual generator" or not?

Sorry for dumb questions.

BTW, there is a small name plate on the back of the machine covered by paint, after soft sanding the number appears, it's a Makino EC-3040...

-ichan

Quote Originally Posted by Ch_Irawan View Post
    My understanding about the adaptive feedrate, it is to maintain the gap between the wire and the workpiece, how it works? If EMC2 adjust the feedrate based on some feedback, then what kind of feedback? How to know if the machine has "manual generator" or not?
    -ichan
    the source code is freely available if you want to see how EMC2 implements "adaptive feedrate"

wht kind of feedback? gap voltage feedback,. all wire edms use this, just find the wiring and the circuit, and pick a logical place to feed to adaptive feedrarate input of EMC2, which would be an A/D convertor input, I used a Motenc Lite card for axis drive and i/o google motenc

how to tell if it is a manual generator, well, er, do you adjust knobs attached to switches, or are your generator settings input via a computer(GUI) ?

the 3040 is a manual generator.....i remember those machines, a perfect candidate for EMC2......

hope that helps
    Registered Linux User #348337
    EMC2 Rocks!!!!