586,036 active members*
3,637 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: PVC fumes?

Page 1 of 2 12

PVC fumes?

hey!

google was no help so ill start a thread.

I was cutting (on mitre saw) then milling pvc today and it had a horrid stench. Now ive got a bit of a headache and feel clamy.

Then again its very hot outside but can somebody give me a list of platics that are bad to inhale? Will i have cancer or is it just something i should avoid? what should i do when i am milling pvc to avoid the fumes? (perhaps just open garage doors and put fans on?)

thanks so much!

regards

Doing it once is not going to give you long term problems, but don't do it again. PVC generates a toxic gas when it is burnt or strongly heated; it can cause more than just a headache.

The vapors from nearly all plastics are bad to inhale, some are very bad such as PVC.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Doing it once is not going to give you long term problems, but don't do it again. PVC generates a toxic gas when it is burnt or strongly heated; it can cause more than just a headache.

The vapors from nearly all plastics are bad to inhale, some are very bad such as PVC.

gah... (nuts) Really appreciate the heads up. What do you guys do to avoid this?

Fan and maybe a respirator?

What about plastics such as polyethylene and polycarbonate?

thanks once again.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by Teyber12 View Post
    .....Fan and maybe a respirator?

What about plastics such as polyethylene and polycarbonate?

thanks once again.

regards
    Exhaust fan taking the fumes away from your work area or a rerspirator with a filter that removes organic vapors.

It is best however, to avoid generating fumes in the first place. Use coolant when milling and make sure your speed and feed are correct so you cut, not melt the material.

Polyehtylene, HDPE or UHMW are fairly benign, the fumes they generate are not much worse than a candle flame. Polycarbonate is not too bad but you should not breathe the fumes, use a mask or vent it.

google
    +msds +pvc
    +msds +polyethylene
    +msds +polycarbonate

you will learn a LOT

robotic regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ToyMaker View Post
    google

you will learn a LOT
    Teyber12 had mentioned Google was no help so I decided to Google PVC fumes and see just what came up. One amusing thing was Teyber12's post was the tenth find on the first page; which shows how fast Google-bots do their stuff. I looked at a couple of finds which were posts from other forums and they did not have good accurate information, then pulled up a MSDS page which like most MSDS stuff goes on endlessly and is difficult to read. Here is an excerpt;

Chronic Effects:
    Chronic exposure to fumes and vapors from heated or thermally decomposed plastics may cause an asthma-like syndrome due to the inhalation of process vapors or fumes. The onset of irritation maybe delayed for several hours. Fumes or vapors may accumulate within the facility during normal operating procedures that involve elevated temperatures. Exposure to these elevated concentrations, if not adequately ventilated, may have significant health effects.

Unless you know something about PVC this is not much help:

'thermally decomposed', does this mean burnt? It is not necessary to actually burn something for it to produce fumes, just get it very hot.

'asthma-like syndrome', what is this? Basically you have a bit of difficulty breathing and feel congested as if you had a bad cold.

'significant health effects' what do they mean by this?

Unfortunately the health effects from breathing too much of the fumes from thermally decomposed PVC can be very significant. PVC is made from Poly Vinyl Chloride, which gets some people all upset because it contains Chlorine!!! Provided the PVC is not 'thermally decomposing' that is not any problem. The problem is that when PVC is decomposed one of the chemicals produced is phosgene and this is very bad news. Too much Phosgene will kill rather nastily, it damages the lungs in such a way that they fill up with fluid and you feel short of breath; 'asthma like syndrome'. Google 'phosgene' if you want more detail.

Which is why my reply was that Teyber12 should not do it again.

What do you guys do to avoid this?
    Sub contract it to China, they don't care about health and safety. I get a particular high index polymer blank from there- no- one else will melt and cast this particular plastic.

Run it cool, two flutes rather than 4, climb cut rather than conventional cut. Slower spindle speed and good chip extraction (air or coolant). You should be able to catch the chips comming off like to-nails and they should be no more than warm. If it stats clogging in clumps you're melting it.

Oh, and extraction. I use an 8 inch flexi tube right near the cutter venting to the outside. Paper masks won't help with fumes...only particles and even then they get holes in them after about 10 minutes breathing.

With PVC Hydrogen Chloride is your main problem but only if there's lots of it I think. See below. Hydrogen Chloride (HCl) is similar to Phosgene (COCL2) in that it reacts with moisture in body tissue (like lungs) to make Hydrochloric Acid. which reminds me of a poem by Wilfred Owen "Gas, Gas, Gas" or "Gas Boys Gas" can't recal which.

http://www.twi.co.uk/content/faqkg006.html

[Edit] Owen's poem was "Dulce et Decorum Est" if anyone fancies seeing what gas did in WWI.
    http://www.warpoetry.co.uk/owen1.html
    [/Edit]
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    ....With PVC Hydrogen Chloride is your main problem but only if there's lots of it I think....
    HCl gas does create Hydrochloric acid (Muriatic acid) in the presence of moisture, but this is a strong and immediate irritant. Anyone who has breathed the fumes from Hydrochloric acid has experienced this. The irritation encourages you to get away from the source of the gas, and inhaling a bit does not cause continuing problems.

As far as I know, HCl gas is not produced directly from decomposition of PVC, but Hydrochloric acid is produced by Phosgene in the presence of moisture and this is what makes Phosgene insidious.

Phosgene has a sweetish smell and when inhaled it does not cause much, if any, irritation; so there is no indication that you are inhaling anything harmful. However, the inhaled Phosgene dissolves in the moisture in your lungs and slowly produces Hydrochoric acid, but this acid is produced deep in the lungs and does not cause any discomfort (initially). What it does do is cause the lungs to become inflamed and fluid starts leaking into the air spaces. This is the normal reaction to an acid burn on any part of the body. Eventually the lungs fill with fluid and it is no longer possible to breath, and you die of drowing...in your own body fluids. Google 'Phosgene Carbonyl Chloride' for some links with horrible descriptions from WW1.

Why do I know about Phosgene? One reason is I do have a couple of degrees in Chemistry. The other is my Grandfather died due Phosgene poisoning in WW1, but he did not die fairly quickly in a matter of days, he survived for a few years with enormous acid burn damage to his lungs and died over a very long time.

you got my sincere sympathies Geof.

My own grandfather died of pneumocossis (sp?) through working down the mines in Scotland. I was at the bedside when he finaly went, I was only a kid, and it was neither dignified nor quick. The nurses/ doctors had him on a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate). He was a fighter and it took a long, long time. The images in my head are still with me forty years later.

One good thing came of it though, I suppose. I am constantly curious about stuff that I'm machining. I will not machine Beryllium, Zinc Selenide, Zinc Sulphide, anything that contains Thorium (232), Gallium Arsenide, Aresnic TriSulphide, Chalcoginide, and many other things that folk will just go ahead and do because "Joe Blogs did it, it must be ok".

Likewise, we used to wash our hands in Napthalene to get rid of the pitch from the lens polishing, when they found out this was dodgy, it was Tolulene, then that was thought to be a little suspect so they changed it to TriChloroEthane, then TriChloroEthene, then TriChloroTriFluroEthane. In know you know, but for others... that's 2 carbon atoms, joined with a single covalent bond: The first Carbon atom has three Chlorine atoms on it, the second three Fluorine (nice for the atmosphere and your skin/ lungs). We used a LOT, ie 50 gallons a day. There was an artificial cloud above our lab as it was pumped out in vapour.

I firmly beleive that if you do not research the stuff you're working with then no- one else will.

I have honestly seen folk angle grinding lenses coated with Thorium (half of which is Th232), an alpha emitter, which is more tightly controlled from a dust point of view by Governmental agencies than Uranium or Plutonium.

Because, simply, they didn't know (I put a stop to it).

I've seen men with their arms up to their elbows in Zinc Selenide dust eating their sandwiches

Because they didn't know.

Designers don't really have the intelligence to think things through. I've personally had in my hands a lens system that was giving off very significant amounts of Gamma. Looking into it, I found that the Thorium on the coating was giving off Alpha and Beta that reacted with the lead in the glass causing what the Germans call Brehmstallung radiation (sp?)- as the alphas/ betas get slowed down by the dense medium it spits out fast neutrons. Not good if you're looking through it for a while cos your eyes are close to your brain.

[Edit] Wrong! It's been kindly pointed out to me that it spits out across the whole electromagnetic spectrum from visible right up- didn't know that! thanks Geof! Oh and it is "breaking" radiation (as in slowing down), not braking. The correct spelling is: bremsstrahlung, I am dumb sorry for the confusion![/Edit].

Sorry to rant on, but I firmly beleive that no- one will look after your own safety more than yourself... or am I being paranoid?
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

I ran a lot of plastics when working for a sign shop and we went threw a form of pvc called sintra and it was really bad. Venting is important but I suggest a mask. Look at getting a mask with changeable filters and get the organic filters. The best would be to get a mask the will bring in fresh air from some where else.
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    Sub contract it to China, they don't care about health and safety. I get a particular high index polymer blank from there- no- one else will melt and cast this particular plastic.

Run it cool, two flutes rather than 4, climb cut rather than conventional cut. Slower spindle speed and good chip extraction (air or coolant). You should be able to catch the chips comming off like to-nails and they should be no more than warm. If it stats clogging in clumps you're melting it.

Oh, and extraction. I use an 8 inch flexi tube right near the cutter venting to the outside. Paper masks won't help with fumes...only particles and even then they get holes in them after about 10 minutes breathing.

With PVC Hydrogen Chloride is your main problem but only if there's lots of it I think. See below. Hydrogen Chloride (HCl) is similar to Phosgene (COCL2) in that it reacts with moisture in body tissue (like lungs) to make Hydrochloric Acid. which reminds me of a poem by Wilfred Owen "Gas, Gas, Gas" or "Gas Boys Gas" can't recal which.

http://www.twi.co.uk/content/faqkg006.html

[Edit] Owen's poem was "Dulce et Decorum Est" if anyone fancies seeing what gas did in WWI.
    http://www.warpoetry.co.uk/owen1.html
    [/Edit]
    i don't make enough of these for that. just a 16 year old with a hobby.

PVC is done. i heard you guys loud and clear. safety is always #1. switched over from pvc to hdpe (hope it has the tensile strength though...)

Thanks for the fast and great responses

Reed

There are two things that my laser manufacturer specifically say not to laser - pvc and teflon. Both emit very hazardous gasses and can do harm to you and the machinery. PVC emits chlorine gas when burned, lasered, and that mixes with the moisture in the air resulting in hydrochloric acid - nasty stuff. As said previously, it probably won't do immediate damage but you don't want to be exposed to it for too long. It also is very corrosive, lasers can be destroyed from periodic exposure. I won't laser anything that I can't verify is not pvc.

Gary

I apologize for bringing a 5 year old thread back from the dead. I did a Google search for PVC fumes and this forum was the first site that popped up.

I am working with heating PVC pipe in order to bend it into a specific shape. The first time I tried heating the pipe I got some smoke and a 'burning plastic' smell. I stopped after a few tries because I remember reading that PVC fumes could be dangerous. After the first try I went online looking for respirators. I found a 3M respirator with organic cartridges, however when I contacted 3M they told me that the only way to protect against phosgene inhalation is to buy a supplied air respirator.

For my next attempt I plan on working completely outdoors. This would be a one time thing and probably take 4-5 hours to get the whole job done. I'm looking for advice from anybody who's more knowledgeable than myself on this subject about how safe this would be.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Working outdoors is a good idea especially if there is a little breeze. But if you are just bending the pipe you should not be getting it hot enough to decompose. Have you tried heating it in a hot water bath? You will need a temperature high enough to scald so you do have to be careful, but the final product might be neater looking.

Thanks Geof. I'm actually using a product made specifically for bending PVC:

PVCBendit - The Best Tool For Bending PVC

The idea is that there is a flexible metal pipe that heats up and you run it through the middle of the pipe. You then have to constantly rotate the pipe to evenly heat it and keep it from burning. I've gotten better at rotating and preventing burns, I might just try it without the mask outside and see how it goes.

Mike88

If you are doing a lot of this bending, you should be using, a heated oil ( silicone ), this is the best by far no fumes at all, the next best is a rap around heater, no other way is a safe way to heat PVC tubing, the link to the PVC internal heating should be good as well, & you should not have any concerns as far as fumes go from this process, you can do it any were with this process
    Mactec54

Thanks for the response mactec. So are you saying that the way I've been doing it should be safe (with the PVC Bendit I gave the link to)? The metal heater runs through the middle of the PVC pipe and the entire pipe is enclosed within an insulated shell. The first time I used this method I got some smoke and a burning smell. I'm not sure if the PVC needs to be heated to a specific temperature before it starts releasing anything toxic but there were definitely some fumes and a smell with the PVC Bendit method.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Mike88

If you are doing a lot of this bending, you should be using, a heated oil ( silicone ), this is the best by far no fumes at all, the next best is a rap around heater, no other way is a safe way to heat PVC tubing, the link to the PVC internal heating should be good as well, & you should not have any concerns as far as fumes go from this process, you can do it any were with this process

Mike88

You have to burn PVC with a flame, for it to produce the toxins, that are nasty, The mandrel heater you are using should have a controlled heat, & you should not be able to over heat the tube as to were it is burnt in any way, if the heated mandrel does not have a heat control, then you need to control the input power, with a rheostat or a ( variac ) variable power supply or something similar, so you do not get any burning of the PVC pipe
    Mactec54

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind next time I try bending.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Mike88

You have to burn PVC with a flame, for it to produce the toxins, that are nasty, The mandrel heater you are using should have a controlled heat, & you should not be able to over heat the tube as to were it is burnt in any way, if the heated mandrel does not have a heat control, then you need to control the input power, with a rheostat or a ( variac ) variable power supply or something similar, so you do not get any burning of the PVC pipe

Cutting PVC with anything that will produce heat may produce chlorine gas which is highly dangerous. Beware!!!

Page 1 of 2 12