586,100 active members*
2,977 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SolidCAM R12 Released

I just noticed that they released R12 today.

I've been using a pre-release version for a few weeks, I'm eager to see how the final release landed in terms of quality.

R12 release

Surprising that others haven't responded to this so far. It hasn't officially been out very long so we will give it some time. Though I definitely experienced some problems there seems to be many new features that I really like. Face mill, templates, open pockets, drill and pocket recognition, improved simulation speeds, and the new tool lists.

I initially with SP1 was about to lose my mind on HSM toolpaths. I initially was getting all kind of errors, couldn't create tool paths, tool path empty, weird default values, and so on. Seems as if there were some type of tool size related conversion problems, metric confusion while in inches, and so on.

Thread milling also seemed to be wacked out at times.

Switched to SP1.1 and seemed to be dramatic improvements related to HSM problems. Thread milling also seems to be not all the way but mostly fixed.

Though I will move on and be happy it seems as if SolidCAM may have been far to aggressive and tried to do to much in one release.

I still will take SolidCAM over MasterCAM any day.

I don't see SP1.1 in the download area, just R12SP1... Weird. They have some kind of problem with releases, there has been no announcement to customers (I'm even on current maintenance) about even the SP1 release. I only knew because I have a bunch of issues open with tech support.

I've seen a number of problems with HSM.

There is a new "save to PDM" option that I was excited about because I se PDMWorks for all my models - but when you try it the feature attempts to connect to a Autodesk repository. Pretty lame.

I had the original R12 release, which had a ton of problems too. After updating to SP1 I learned that the parts I'd created in R12 wouldn't work with SP1 and I had to start over.

I hope they get it together, it has the potential to be really great but with the number of bugs I see it is just a giant frustration.

Whats the price?