586,103 active members*
3,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PLC PROGRAMMING

I am in the process of interfacing a special chuck package to a CNC lathe. I have used Direct Logic PLC's in the past and have had very good luck with them. On this project I have been asked to use an Allen Bradley MicroLogic 1000. I have not used that brand before and am having problems with the control logic. I have been able to figure the inputs and outputs out and have the basic idea but with the Direct Logic I can use an input to fire a control coil ( C ) and use that coil's contacts further in the ladder. I have not been able to figure the similar coil and contacts with the AB PLC. Any help or information would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jp41558 View Post
    with the Direct Logic I can use an input to fire a control coil ( C ) and use that coil's contacts further in the ladder. I have not been able to figure the similar coil and contacts with the AB PLC. Any help or information would be appreciated.
    This feature is available with AB PLC's, in fact I have never come across a PLC that does not have it.
    What software are you using?
    You need to get a copy of the 'SLC500 and MicroLogix 1000 Instruction Set Reference Manual'.
    This explains the architecture and is complete with examples.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

"the Direct Logic I can use an input to fire a control coil ( C ) and use that coil's contacts further in the ladder"

Do you mean "further in the ladder" as in the same rung of the ladder, or a rung further down the ladder?

I am using the RSLogic 500 software and there was no good programming information that came with it. When I called and asked I was told I would need to take the class (what a shock, more $$$$$ needed) and that they didn't have one scheduled soon unless I wanted to schedule a onsite class ($$$$). The software CD has a manual on it and I have gone thru it, but it doesn't give very good discriptions or any true examples. I am just needing to find a good explination of the internal contacts and coils to be able to set up the ladder properly. Thanks again

The publication I listed in the previous post is AB # 956500-01.
    If you can get a copy from AB/Rockwell, I am sure it answer all your questions.
    It is quite extensive.
    I believe I got my copy free from the local Rockwell rep in this area.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Instead of C0 use B3:0/0 OR B3/0
    How you have your options configured determines whether you use the first or second format. They are equivalent, it just displays differently.

B3:0/0 - B3:0/15 OR B3/0 - B3/15
    B3:1/0 - B3:1/15 OR B3/16 - B3/31

You could also use N7:0/0, etc. You may even be able to setup up your own files in the Micrologix, but I don't see that in the hardware manual. You can in the SLC500s.

I too usually prefer the Automation Direct, although A-B has some nice features too. But next year, your $$$$ software may not work with the newest firmware release. You are paying the "insurance" for yearly updates aren't you?(wedge)