586,741 active members*
3,306 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4th Axis for EZ Trak

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to retrofit a 4th axis on an EZ Trak Series I. I think it is an SX. Let me know if you need any more information on the machine. I will have to look it up.

Thanks,

Steve

If you are looking for positioning only, you can get units with their on control box. They have them with a push button op (program the tool to touch a sensor) or with an M code input trigger (tells it to do 1 move).
    As far as a full 4th goes...I don't know.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

This is sort of a hard question to answer.

SOME of the extraks had the power to run a 4th axis but the software didn't/wouldn't support it. Some dont as they had "thrifted" BMDC boards installed which can't /won't run a 4th no matter what you do/try.

THe V2XT is essentially a CNC only version of an extrak and DOES support a plug and play 4th axis. IF you're really sharp, you probably could setup a dual boot system that would enable you to select from Extrak or V2XT software and have a 4th axis BUT the XT doesn't work as a manual mill which may be a problem. Again you could convert but that gets expensive.

ONe of the principals of EMI might be able to do the necessay reprogramming to do the change/swa- but I"m of the impression that he's lost any interesst due to prior "intellectual property" issues he had with Hardinge over the BMDC software.

The short answer is NO. The long answer is YES if the people who "KNOW" GOTA and did it the poetntial exists if the right hard ans software changes were made..

Better yet, go buy a Haas TM-1 and get yourself a true 4 axis capable machine that combines the best of Extrak and XT and the ability NOT to have to deal with EMI for overpriced support for an obsolete machine.