586,493 active members*
1,625 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tooling set up on Okuma Lathe

Hello, I have a mid 1980's Okuma LB-15 lathe, I just purchased it and recently got it running. I want to set up the tooling for the turret, it's a rear turret machine. Question is, is it better to set up the tools with the insert facing up and running the spindle CW or down and having the spindle turn CCW? Is there any benefit other than having the chips fall away from the insert to having it on the bottom, seems as it would be easier to service the tools if they were facing up?

Thanks,
    Scott

I would advise you to run with your turning tools upside down. This is how the lathe was designed to be used. Lathes run more trouble free with the chips firing down. If you would like to do any drilling you would need to reverse the spindle, and single point threading will be hairy.

Changing inserts is no big deal on a machine of this type, just index the turret so your clamp and/or screw is facing you.

Thanks, makes perfect sense with drilling and threading, I didn't think of that. I'm used to a manual lathe with a front tool post, just have to get used to the rear turret.

Scott

Talking Thread backwards too.

I usually run them upside down. Keeps the chips under control.
    I do threading mostly upside down away from the chuck in reverse too.
    The stops the stringy swarf getting tangled.
    I gave up on the coolant pipes etc, and just put 2 articulated shower fittings (minus the rose) and just flood it hard. Little pipes always get snagged by swarf and get bent, or stop working. Full blast with the door shut works for me.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

I came to mind at the time, but I didn't have time then.

On this, and most lathes of this type it seems unnatural to the uninitiated that the tools are upside down, and that the chuck is spinning backwards.

The thing is that in M3 the chuck is spinning the same way as it would be on a standard engine lathe (mostly,) it's just that the tools are rotated around to the back so they have to be upside down to cut.

Yep, the light bulb went on when you said drilling, I visualized exactly what you are describing. Sorry for the ignorance, just new to this type of machine:idea:

Talking Drilling...

I have some left handed drills if you need confusing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT2585.jpg  

Wink

Thanks for the help Neil

What everyone else said.

When changing inserts on the 12-station turret on our Mori, we index the turret two stations lower. E.g. T01 to change the inserts on T03.

Not to mention, if you use CAD/CAM software, it's pretty easy to mix up an M03 with an M04 and mess something up pretty good.