586,069 active members*
3,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Low cost 6 axis USB motion controller
Page 2 of 4 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
    hunserv, I'm also EMC2 user and would very much like to see SPI drive support in it one day. However, EMC developer mailing lists discussions don't give much hope for USB device support. Would need lot of changes in EMC. However, some FPGA card could do the job instead. SPI gets finally documented so anyone can implement the support.

Jerry, loop is closed in drives. USB card is quite dumb itself and just sends commands to drives. There is 6 I/O's on board (can be used as analog inputs too)
    The HostMot2 configuration firmware for our FPGA cards supports SPI, Its probably not more than a day job to add a component that drives the VSD SPI interface. This would allow a 5I20 to drive up to 18 axis, and a 3X20 to drive 36!

Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    The HostMot2 configuration firmware for our FPGA cards supports SPI, Its probably not more than a day job to add a component that drives the VSD SPI interface. This would allow a 5I20 to drive up to 18 axis, and a 3X20 to drive 36!
    Interesting! I'm interested anyway.. I've finally faced the fact that I'm going to have to move to EMC so simplified interfacing of my existing hardware is of great interest to me.
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

EtherCAT?!!!!!!

I'm also researching possibilities to make the device EtherCAT compatible in addition to USB.
    The EtherCAT slave would expand significantly the area of use of the VSD-(X)E.:idea:

Granite Devices is already a member of Ethercat Technology Group.

I'm making progress with USB6AX. It seems that even the fastest ATmega AVR controller isn't fast enough to handle the data rate of 6x2500 Hz even when the most critical algorithms are optimized with assembly code. However, drives run perfectly smooth even with lower update rate.

One interesting aspect of USB6AX design is that it allows inserting miscellaneous commands in the drive data stream without disturbing the steady timing of position commands. For example this allows modifying drive parameters on the fly while drives are running interpolated 6 axis motion.

There will be a major design changes compared to the prototype. Planned new specs are:
    -7 servo axis
    -8 digital I/O (settable direction)
    -3 PWM outputs
    -3 Analog inputs
    -Up to 8x1000Hz update rate (8th channel controls I/O's)

There will be a major design changes compared to the prototype.
    Any idea when these will be for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by integerspin View Post
    Any idea when these will be for sale?
    When it's ready. There are many other things to carry out at the same time but I hope to finish it in about 6 months.

BTW,
    I think I found a neat way to operate drives thru fieldbuses like EtherCAT, CANopen, SERCOS, Profibus etc by using readily available automation parts. I will buy some of those parts to test and describe my idea. If one is interested about them now, just email me.

Hello Xerxes,
    When these all done, what it is look alike that component? What kind of application the best for this 7 axis USB? or its just to simplify PCB. Thanks. Asuratman.

I think I need one ... Na , I know I need one.

Any updates?

/Paul

Paul, normal development progress. I want it to work perfectly and not "almost correctly", thats why I don't like release schedules.

Paul, normal development progress. I want it to work perfectly and not "almost correctly", thats why I don't like release schedules.
    Bump?

Quote Originally Posted by winner View Post
    Bump?
    Recent development has been in SimpleMotion library. It allows controlling drives with included USB adapter. Only syncronous contouring is not supported thru that (it needs USB7AX).

SimpleMotion is considered to be the programming interface for USB7AX too.

Recent development has been in SimpleMotion library. It allows controlling drives with included USB adapter. Only syncronous contouring is not supported thru that (it needs USB7AX).

SimpleMotion is considered to be the programming interface for USB7AX too.
    If I understand correctly this project is on hold? I just cant get it.

Quote Originally Posted by winner View Post
    If I understand correctly this project is on hold? I just cant get it.
    Quite much so in last months, but the project is still alive. It's just "too much work, not enough time" thing.

BTW, we are evaluating EtherCAT interface. If it seems reasonable in work amount, then we probably replace USB with EtherCAT as it's much more supported in industry (i.e. EtherCAT CNC software already available). It takes more research on topic to say any decision. The solution could be either a) direct EtherCAT support on each drive or b) USB7AX like device but EtherCAT instead of USB.

Thanx

Thanx for the update.

/Paul

Thanks for clarification. About EtherCAT, I think you are talking about this:
    http://www.ethercat.org/en/ethercat.html

And, if I understand correctly, with this EtherCAT, I can build a 6 axis CNC machine and control them from PC using an ethernet port instead of USB?

One more question. What software can control this EtherCAT thing? Mach3, Emc2, etc?

Yes, correct link. Much more than 6 axis is possible in that bus.

There is at least TwinCAT software that can run G-code with EtherCAT drives. It works on PC and communicates thru ethernet connector.

What would be the price range of the controller. Development of a new controller on the Ethercat platform can upgrade the current machine builders to a new level of field advancement, but prices, flexibility of usage should be within the reach, affordability & support with a nominal cost will scale the product to new heights (eg. Like Mach). Keep us updated & i would love to do Beta testing if you are interested.

Just curious, is this controller card work in companion with your 6 each VSDE or it will be 1 card with 6 ea driver on board. Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 1234