586,106 active members*
2,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC LASER CUTTER/PLASMA/ROUTER DESIGN

I am in the process of designing a CNC gantry style arrangement. I need capacity of 49" x 97" . I wish to be able to use a router, plasma cutter, YAG laser through fiber connection, and a CO2 laser. I am designing quick change mounts for the different cutting methods. At this point I think I am leaning in the direction of using ballscrews due to the router loading. With the lasers I would use timing belts, but with the router (3hp) I think screws are best. My main question is, what power servos would I need to be able to power this rig? I am using extruded aluminum as a frame. The X axis will weigh around 25lbs? Will I have problems with different loads on the same set-up? Has anyone heard of such a build before? Any help would be great! Oh, I have seen some decent prices on Yaskawa drives and motors on Ebay. What are your thoughts?
    Thank you very much!

Please keep us updated on your progress. I think pictures are in order.

Yaskawa it´s a big problem to controler drives

I think is not a good idea to have the plasma in the same table with the laser. The plasma dust will be a really bad problem to the laser optics. Same with the ballscrews, the most of the plasma tables are made with gear and racks or timing belts that are used inverted to avoid the dust.

I would make some slip covers for the optics... when using it as a plasma table, slip on the covers and protect your investment.
    Hi-TecDesigns.com -- Automotive Lighting Systems

Update

I bought (3) .5hp motors, and (1) .25 hp motors. Drives are on the way. At this point I am leaning toward timing belt system instead of ballscrews. I have decided I can run a smaller router and just deal with it. I really appreciate all your help with this project. I have another machine that is almost complete. I have a 12" x 12" laser mill. It is open loop. I intend to use it for precision work. I have seen nice extruded aluminum control cabinets that look like heat sinks. Does anyone know where to buy one?

What do you mean?