586,115 active members*
3,333 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > want more then Smithy or Tormach... whats next?

want more then Smithy or Tormach... whats next?

Hey guys I have been lurking in here on and off for a long time now. I used CNC machines in College in Labs and have always wanted to start doing one off prototype parts myself and hate being hamstringed by having to outsource and wait and would like to take the plunge into becoming a light prototyping machinist for my own part designs.

I ran across the Smithy 1240 and the tormach 1100 CNC mills and was VERY excited until researching through here and seeing the upper classman of the forum poo poo them down a bit.

here is what I am interested in doing.. I am not savvy enough in CNC equipment to know what would best handle my goals and am hoping some of you will spare some time to point me in the proper direction.

1st, my budget.. I will be putting some money down $2-3k but will likely have to finance the rest of it.. I would rather buy a little more then I need and leave some room to grow.

I don't have a problem purchasing used and imagine that is indeed all my budget will afford. I do want full CNC control and Cad/Cam part modeling to machining ability.

I will be starting with machining flanges about 3"x22"x1/2" thick in aluminum and stainless steel along with other smaller items. heavy production is not necessarily my main concern, perhaps 10-15 pieces a day if need be to restock bins for per order assembly. is what I'll be looking to do.

I would like to have a machine that would be capable of machining larger parts out of large aluminum block such as prototype cylinder heads to be made into casting molds at a later date. the heads would be a maximum of about 8"x8"x23". CNC porting is also something else I wopuld like to have the option to grow into if possible.

If you guys have read this and are thinking of a machine, even if it is a little bit above my budget, please chime in and turn me in the correct direction!

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Mazak. Get your financing ready.

I will be starting with machining flanges about 3"x22"x1/2" thick in aluminum and stainless steel
    Hmm, just a wild ass guess. Intake spacers and exhaust flanges?

You might be able to do this on a 9x48 knee mill. A 10x54 would be a better choice.

I would like to have a machine that would be capable of machining larger parts out of large aluminum block such as prototype cylinder heads
    A 10x54 knee mill with a cnc retrofit would do this but it won't be a quick process and you'll need to build lots of fixtures. A 5 axis VMC or HMC would be best.

CNC porting is also something else I would like to have the option to grow into if possible.
    OK, now we're talking about a nice 5 axis Mazak or such. Umm, do you have a spare 1/4 to 1/2 million dollars laying around? With enough effort you could do this on a knee mill but It won't be easy.
    Bob
    You can always spot the pioneers -- They're the ones with the arrows in their backs.

LOL.. its funny, but if I had 1/4-1/2 mill laying around I would still be interested in the machines because it is such a passion of mine. the big stuff would not be for production but mearly some testing and one off prototyping that I have dreamed about for too many years without doing anything about it. I Tig weld and fabricate many things and yes I am looking at doing my own flanges and other special need parts that I had always ondered why no one made them before.. guess I am financially short for the big stuff and will have to wait and see what the next few years to come offer up with diligence and hard work.

would you guys put me in the tormach category or still think a bigger machine is what I should aim for?

looking at total outlay of somewhere in the $15-20k range for EVERYTHING tooling included, all of what I would need to hit the ground running.

hit me with your thoughts on that dollar amount and try to put me in the most I can get for the money!

Thanks in advance!

Chris

If you want to get into a CNC machine that breaks out of these hobby classed machines, look at some machines that are real CNC machines.
    I would be looking for a machine with a tool changer, you will wish you had it really soon after owning a machine that you are changing tools maually.
    Haas has a toolroom mill, I see them used for around 20k, that would work just fine for most jobs, and they have tool changers.
    There are a ton of knee mills with controls on them, and will make parts, but there still not a real cnc machine.

As far as getting to get into cnc porting heads, you will need a 5 axis CNC machine to port them correctly, some really expensive software to lay down tool paths, and really good guy to train you, and alot of time to get it right.
    At my engine shop, were cnc porting heads now, and have alot of money and time invested in equipment to get results. This adventure is not cheap, like the guys stated above, there not jokeing at 1/4 mill or more.

What ever you decide, look at the big picture, and take the plunge the first time, if you don't you will end up buying again. Remember you get what you pay for.

Good Luck.
    HAAS VF3-5 axis trunion
    Mastercam X3