586,075 active members*
4,035 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help-Error 106 on SL-20

Hi,

Im pretty new to the whole world of CNC machines (about 1 year) and I could use a little help with my shops SL-20 (I believe its a 2003). We recently started having a problem where every time a G28 is used in a program we get an error #106, A axis servo fault (something like that...I cant remember the exact wording of it). The weird thing is it wont throw the alarm when a G28 is commanded in MDI, or if the machine is simply told to rapid to machine zero. I wasnt using the machine when it first started doing this, but apparently nothing out of the ordinary happened, it just started alarming after G28 randomly.

I would really appreciate any ideas!

Thanks

On the SL machines the A axis is the servo that indexes the turret.

You say the error happens randomly; maybe it is not random, it could be happening when a particular tool (maybe more than one tool) is in position.

Write a small program that moves the machine away from home, does a tool change then a G28 and see what happens.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks for the reply Geof,

I was unclear in my first post-the machine alarms any and everytime it encounters a g28 in a program that is running from memory. Anytime I press the G28 button on the control in MDI mode it works without a problem. The turret was crashed several months ago and had to be retimed (done by haas tech), but we havent been having any other problems with it.

Its my understanding that the G28 returns the X&Z axis to machine home but does not change the position of the turret. Is this correct? I dont see why I'm getting an A axis servo error when the turret isnt even supposed to be moving.

Thanks