586,075 active members*
3,937 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

recomendations???

OK,

I'm new here and I've only been researching for a couple of weeks but I have a challenging situation.

I have a small business http://heartbeatracingproducts.com and my partner just moved out of state and sold his mill. I would have bought it from him but wasn't sure it would meet all my needs.

First and foremost I need a manual mill to perform operations on engines like surfacing and boring as well as making custom parts.

However, since it's a pretty large investment I would like to be able to do some short run CNC manufacturing mostly small parts like manifolds from aluminium. I don't need CNC capability right now but if it's much cheaper and easier to get a machine that has it built in I would consider paying a little more up front.

I've been looking into square colum mills like the Rong Fu 45 or one of the clones. I've looked at Enco, Grizzly and Industrial Hobbies but there are lots of options and my budget is limited. I need lots of spindle to table clearance for decking blocks but of course that's just one requirement, I kinda feel like I need 2 or 3 mills.

I do already own a Harbor Freight multipurpose machine that does some of what I need but it's also one of the reasons I'm uncertain about buying another Chinese built machine. I also have an old Seneca lathe that I bought for $300 so I do appreciate the quality of older, American built machines but I need to make $$ with this machine, it's not really for a hobby....

So, I'm torn between getting a new square colum or an older knee mill. My space is also somewhat limited, and like many others I don't have 3 phase. If I buy an inexpensive manual square colum just how tough is it to convert to CNC and is it worth it? Is it possible to get somebody else's project for a good price?

I know this question has been asked a hundred times before but I promise that if you help me out I'll repay the favor for some future newbie once I've learned a little more.

Thanks for any comments....

John Matthews
    Heartbeat Racing Products, LLC.

"If I buy an inexpensive manual square colum just how tough is it to convert to CNC and is it worth it? Is it possible to get somebody else's project for a good price?"

If you are comfortable with engines and machining then a conversion shouldn't be over your head, though the electrical and electronic parts might be unfamiliar and require some head-scratching.

All in the cost of an RF-45 conversion seems to be around $5k, though you will find people who have spent more and less. A Tormach or IH setup will likely run at least double that, while with a knee mill really depends on luck and shopping abilities, but this is a road fraught with dangers for the uninitiated.

As for buying someone else's project, your best bet there is to look around locally since you're not going to want to buy and ship something like that sight unseen. I don't see very many such projects on the market in my area, and when they do people want too much money for them.

Don't forget though, you can take 220 volt single phase and get 3 Phase with a Converter.I have a 3hp rotary Phase converter that I just swapped out for a 30HP.

if you find a good size mill cheap enough, it might be worth getting the rotary converter. I don't recommend a static if you will do lots of stops and starts though.

If you are doing motors, you need a pretty good sized mill. but don't doubt the Grizzly mills, especially the G3617. I know that no one likes to have problems, but grizzly is top notch when service is involved. And the price is pretty good for that size of mill.

I am moving into my new shop now, and once I get the overhead lift done, I will be going to Grizzly for that mill. I have wanted it for a good while. I just have no way to move it right now.