586,035 active members*
3,838 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Plasma tip reconditioning

I have about 100 used plasma tips laying in a box and today I was thinking of a way to recondition them. I was thinking that a swedge tool could be used to reform the copper so that they could be re-drilled. Has anyone seen or heard of such tool. A bullet reloading press might be just the ticket.

Firebass

you could always try a 'sample' reform by using a machined insert to support the inside of the tip, and lightly peening the top surface to deform and shrink the opening...if it's copper it will 'flow' reasonably well, less so if it's more like bronze..
    another alternative might be to make a lathe insert adapter, and 'roll' deform the surface in towards the center, would probably give less 'thinning' on the tip surface portion..
    or, if it's a 'mostly' copper material, clean up the opening a bit, and then just braze it shut, redrill after, choice of tip openings...
    ..might have to make yourself a 'cleanup' tool to recondition the inner part of the tip, something as simple as a reground drill bit with a protection sleeve..you mentioned a bullet press, something like a primer pocket reamer would probably work as well for inside cleanup..

..enjoy..