586,108 active members*
3,107 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Excessive oil use

I work on VM1 and VM2 machines. There is an oil reservoir that, I assume, supplies the tool arm, spindle and tool carousel, that is located to the left of the spindle casing. On the VM1, the reservoir needs 'topping up' about every month or two. But on the VM2, it need 'topping up' twice a week.

Is this usual, or the signs of a problem?

Thanks for any help.

Wink oil leaks

Yes it is a problem with some of the Hurco VM series machines.
    If you look on the back side of the housing that the tool change arm and cylinder mount to you will see a cover that is sealed with silicone, orange if I remember correctly. They usually leak at this location, and some just leak around the seal for the cylinder. By saying cylinder I mean the rod that moves the arm up and down. We have two VM1 machines, one needs a fill once a week the other every two months. It looks to be a pain to fix, keep it full and leave a dry rag under the arm when you park it.

the tool changer transmission housing is full of oil. the cup shows that is full. the cup should be about half full at all times. if you watch the level in the oil cup, you will see it changes level during a tool change as the volume in the tool changer transmission changes because of the internal moving parts. look at the top of the tool change arm when you come in on monday mornings after the machine has not run for a day or two. if there is oil on top of the arm, chances are that the shaft seal on the bottom of the transmission is leaking. remove the tool arm from the shaft. remove the black ring on the bottom of the housing. there is a seal on the id and an o-ring on the od. be sure to drain the transmission first or you will get an oil bath. it hold about 1 gallon. use dte lite or equivalent. look at the parts diagram in your manual for a parts breakdown. your hurco distributor should be able to get you the parts. try contacting hurco service at hurco.com..