587,070 active members*
2,951 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New to cnc routing

New to this site looking to purchase a shop bot woodworking cnc machine i am a trim carpenter with computer experience and work is very slow here in Alabama and someone told me that i should purchase a cnc router and that there was plenty of subcontract work on the internet but haven't found it yet does anyone out there know if that is true or not looking into the future to make a living if you know what i mean. If anyone can help please contact me
    [email protected]
    Just trying to get started thanks

Unless you have the work lined up, it's a bad idea thinking the machine will bring you work. Even with work lined up, there's no guarantee it'll still be there once you have the machine up and running.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the input sometimes its hard to figure out what to do thank you very much

there is a show in atlanta next week that was a real career enlightner for me back in 97' ( the first year i went) it cost like 25.00 to get in and takes a good 2 days min to see and absorb it all the first time, if i was you i'd find the gas, camp in a park and see this show, in the words of andy to his friend in the movie (shawshank redemption) "if you've come this far, then maybe you'll come a little further" after all you found CNCZONE!!

jim

iwf atlanta

http://www.iwf2006.com/

I have never seen a company or person looking to subcontract work out for a cnc wood router while surfing the internet. May have missed it so I’m not saying it’s not posted somewhere. I don’t think I would invest in a machine and count on that type of work to pay for it. I have seen a few RFQ here in the zone but it is more of a mill type requirements.

There is one guy that gets work by posting on ebay, I had him cut me some large parts when he was first getting started so not sure how much business he gets from his ebay listings.

it can be done more locally or regionally there are people here on the zone who make a living from it, in the cabinet world it's called "outsourcing" i carve for local sign shops and have done some small movie work, also have had some other shops inquire but have chosen not to go that route yet.
    jim

Duster360,

The above advise is correct. A CNC can be a great thing if you already have the work. It's one way to increase production, but it's not going to get you work directly. Twenty years ago if you had one you were special and could do some things no one else could. Now they are pretty common.

You mention that you are a trim carpenter which I assume means window and door trim. Obviously CNC's are more for cabinet work.

IMHO, it seems to me that most people using the internet to get quotes are mainly shopping price to beat up their local suppliers. So unless you have what Jay Abrahams used to call a USP ( Unique Selling Proposition) chances are you won't get any jobs that you couldn't get knocking on doors.

The IWF is an amazing and overwhelming show, but it is businesses looking to sell you something, not looking to give out work.

I know a couple of people in Phenix City (I'm in NY). Are you anywhere near there?