586,103 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Can I control 5 axis using 2 separate controller cards?

Can I control 5 axis using 2 separate controller cards?

I have a 15CL 4 axis machine and am looking to add a 5th axis. The new MAX software can handle up to 6 axis so I am looking to add a trunnion to the A axis and mount another rotary axis on the trunnion table.

My question is how to control the 5th axis?? The existing controller from MAXNC only controls 4 axis. Is it possible to add another controller to control just the extra axis? And if so, are there issue I need to deal with regarding synching them?

thanks,
    Brent

You might be able too use a BOB (Breakout Board) to get you wired up but, not being familiar with the MAX NC products -I took a look at the site.
    This might be your challenge:
    "If the controller is to be used with other driver software, it requires only 2 output lines per motor from the parallel port,
    in quartered mode, and 2 input lines total for feedback. 4 axes can be driven with a single parallel port."

Italics mine -- That from the 10CL machine on the website --

They don't show whats in the box or offer a wiring scheme - so you'll have to sort that out. If they are offering 6 axis control software - bet they'll sort out a way to keep their customers by offering an upgrade box too.
    Not much help - sorry - But, with MACH3 and other controllers - you just add a BOB - I have "ganged 2 sets of 3 axis Xylotexs that way.

:cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Looks like they are running Mach3, or as they call it "MAX III " .

http://www.maxnc.com/max_iii_screen_shots.htm

Free DXF - vectorink.com