586,075 active members*
4,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

The spec for file formats on our DSPs

I have been rereading some of my machines spec and I was not sure what the lines which says

Command: G Code, *uoo, *mmg, *plt

means in respect of SW outputs? For those who use V Carve pro, is it standard ISO G code you use or is there any other custom setups you use for this (Note I do not use V carve pro, I do have a demo version downloaded but never got to try it).

The question is related to if I should use another SW package than Ucancam, what format do the DSP accept ? In larger SW packages the output files (G codes) need to be translated to you're/our machines which is usually called "post-processors".

So the *uoo, *mmg, *plt is not perfectly clear for me what means.

Any one ?

Kent

I have found that many of the outputs will work, I think it is in part to the simplicity of the DSP and the fact it ignores many of the tool change and sometimes the feed instructions.

I use G-code,mm as the output from Vcarve pro, I think G-code,arcs also works.

Sometimes you just have to try (keeping a hand on the E-stop) YMMV though

Shannon.

Shannon

Thanks for the reply. I have now tried files from Ucancam and another program where the G codes was totally different. The Ucancam file has no line numbering and a very short header/start. The other file from OneCNC has a complete numbering of the lines, a large start header and some other differences but and the initial test sent my Z axis in to the sky.

Then I changed the G coed from OneCNC a little bit and for some reason this worked. This was mainly in the header, but the line numbering was still the same (10,20,30 etc) where the Ucancam file had line G01 on each movement.

It for sure look like the DSP could handle a lot of formats so I guess the only thing to do is to try the codes generated by which ever program and see how it goes ....

Any news in you're end Shannon in respect of Mach3 or PC control of the machine ? I have not followed the lead on the stock BB since this requires a additional BB to convert from differential to serial signaling. I'm not sure if we can ground one of the lines or just live the - line open and then just apply the + side to the BB card though.

"The brain" do look good and I guess this is the easiest.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59763

I would for sure like to be able to add a probe to my machine and use it as a 3D scanner in case I rip out the DSP, so I guess that is a question I need to ask the "brain" guys.

K

The G-code is quite versatile in respect to the line numbers and things. I think the code ignores the line numbers as they do not have a letter in front of them, also the X,Y and Z commands do not need to be in any specific order on a particular line for the code to run correctly.

I have not done any further research toward the Mach3 changeover but I still plan to do it at some stage (and then add a toolchanger)
    I think it will be just as easy to change the breakout board over when the new machine control is put in.

Shannon.