586,113 active members*
3,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

(5) Cor-ten boxes

Need (5) Cor-ten boxes fabricated. Dimension of each box is 10" x 10" x 20". The "lid" (which is 10x20) is open and the middle of the box is divided with a ~10x10" piece of corten. Material is to be 3/16" thick. Please see attached sketch. I also have a CAD drawing available.

NYC-area fabricator preferred for geographic reasons, but open to any competitive quotes/interested parties. Not looking for the cheapest vendor, but quote should be competitive.

Material to be provided by fabricator.

Please PM me if interested.

Job will be awarded by 9/1/2008.

Thanks.

John
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Box

What is Corten material?

MatWeb doesn't even know what "cor-ten" is.

Also, are the dimensions inside or outside? What are your tolerances (flatness, size, squareness, etc)? I have no idea what the material is, so what welding process needs to be used? What filler alloy? Pre-heat? Post-heat? Does it need to be welded all around or is skip welding acceptable? If skip welded, what length of weld is min/max? Do the outside corners need to be full pen? Do they need to be painted? Do the welds need to be ground down or left as-welded? Do the boxes need to be leak checked?

I think you get the idea...put your thinking cap on and come back with just a tad more info.

Matt - I should have been more clear; I'm not looking for a specific dollar-quote, but rather a fabricator that is interested and familiar in working with corten with whom I can then discuss the project in detail and arrive at an RFQ. This will be a sculptural piece that I cannot complete myself due to it's larger size - hence I'm looking for someone who is better suited. If you are interested, please reach out to me. This is a one-time project, but it is "real". Here are a few solid-model screen shots with dimensions. I've also attached "Model - Actual.jpg" which is a sample photograph of the finished piece. Dimensions are in inches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Box - View Side.jpg   Box - View Top.jpg   Model - Actual.jpg  
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

I'm uninterested as none of my normal steel suppliers have it, and it's not worth anyone's time to bring in plate that nobody will ever use again.

For anyone interested I did some leg work and found that "Cor-ten" is ASTM A588, which is a weathering steel that's somewhat common in bridges and outdoor metal art. It's a medium carbon steel (.100-.190%) so pre-heat / post-heat is probably not necessary, although in some bridge building related articles I found, pre-heat is recommended to avoid cold-start cracks. I think I would just chase out moisture and call it good. Elongation at break is 21% in 2", so forming should be no problem.

Tikka, you may be able to see from the above paragraph that it doesn't take someone familar with a certain alloy to be able to work with it. It's really pretty simple for a knowledgable fabricator to see what it's going to take.