586,103 active members*
3,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Admac Parts for lathe?

Admac Parts for lathe?

Anyone use the Admac parts for lathe programming? A seat is included with the new Captain were getting at the shop. Just wondering if anyone is using it and what do you think?

Btw. I tried downloading this demo video of admac from okuma. http://www.okuma.com/images/software...rning_demo.mpg But for some reason windows media player wouldn't play it. It's giving me a codec error. I've been able to download and play some of the other vids of the machines. Any of you computer savvy have any recommendations?

We bought an Okuma Captain 370M at the begining of the year and have been using Admac since. I am not the one using it. It is one of my guys. I think it takes some getting used to and there are some things that it will not do such as engraving a part number at a radius, which would be nice when putting a part number on the face of a part. Did you get the IGF on your machine? (Basically conversational programming.) We got it and I can see that once a guy gets it set up it will be nice. Once set this will pick feeds and speeds as well as factor in depths of cuts etc., but it all needs to be set up. I do think that Gibbs or some other more known name of software would be better, but is it $8000 (or whatever a lathe CAM seat costs) better? That is the big question. With admac you get free upgrades for life and pay no maintenece fee and one of the next upgrades will include the use of solids. I will wait to make my final judgement until then. To get straight to the point and answer your question: I think it is good software and once you learn it will perform well. If I had to pay for it woud I buy it. Probably not. Just because there is better out there to buy.

Admac

Admac will not do any surfacing (3D work) but will do just about everythings else. Since Admac was written by Okuma this software will detect errors before you put the program in the machine whereas other cam softwares need alittle touchup. The question is how you plan to use the software? Turning, Drilling, Tapping, milling 2D works great. More complex parts with surfaces it will not work. Also Admac comes with IGF and Program Check as well. Program Check to allow you the run hand written and modified programs through simulation.

I have been using Admac parts through the IGF for programming lathes for a number of years and I love it.

i got ADMAC and mastercam for programming our captain l370mw

ADMAC gives me a code that will work without errors but it's not as flexible as mastercam to control the machine

mastercam will output a bit less clean code with a couple of error , since MC and OSP don't really fit together, especially on sub spindle operations, but the toolpath is way faster and tool life is better for the production than admac since you can control engagement and DOC for each step very easily , and with the c-axis you can make 3D contour and engraving pretty easily, this can't be archived in ADMAC

IMHO, 10 to 15% faster per part x 365days of production is way higher than the maintenance fee for mastercam for those 365 days

One thing that you leave out is that on the latest Captain L370MW, Admac Parts comes free and once you know how to use it will enable you to get cycle time quotes offline or on the machine.
    Also with windows xp pro on the control and the usb ports you can integrate the machine with almost any other pc based application.
    Admac parts used through IGF in conjunction with Know How Sketch will enable you to keep drawings, tool lists and tool order all in one simple file from the Sql server found in file operation.
    I use IGF daily and it has made my life one heck of a lot easier than the old days.
    With program check you can debug programs and have cycle times that will definately work first time without any editting saving valuable time either on or off the machine.
    In a nut shell I really do use IGF daily and love it.

Anyone know how to upgrade ADMAC parts, the standalone PC version?

I had it on an win xp 32 bit computer, but was hoping I could get an upgrade for win 7 64 bit.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

the same software will run on W7/64. Just install it as usual.