586,912 active members*
3,452 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Digitizing info needed

I would like to learn a Little about digitizing (perferably, but not limited too Mach 3). I reverse engineer and often duplicate many componets and digitizing with a probe would be a huge help, but I am unfamiliar with digitzing and extremely busy to research everything needed digitize. If anyone could answer any of the following questions or have additional info they would like to share, it will be greatly appreciated.

1. Can the points from the point cloud be used to create CAD drawings(dxf, dxg ect.)?
    2. How does one set up and configure Mach3 for the probe (ex. parallel port pin settings, modbus etc.?)?
    3. Do I need any additional componets to interface the probe with the computer?
    4. What kind of programs and software will I have to become familiar with, in order to digitize properly?
    5. What kind of path does the probe travel to obtain the points?
    6. Is there any "how to" literature, tutorials, forums or web sights with info on digitizing?
    7. Is digitizing accurate?
    8. Where can I purchase a digital probe?
    9. Please feel free to share any addtional info you have re guarding digitizing not mentioned in the questions above.

I'm also interested in how I could use cameras to scan objects to assist with reverse engineering. (I've seen threads of people using web cams and lasers, leading me to believe that this is possible). Any info to the questions above that can be applied to using cameras would be very helpful.

Please, don't be shy, post as much info as you can re guarding digitizing using probes and cameras,.

Thank you,

George

A digitizer will get you points. You can use a touch probe that's connected to a cnc. The simplest ones just beep when they hit something and you write down the x,y,z coordinates. You don't even need a digitizer, just touch the cnc tip to the object and write down the x,y,z. Gets kind of old after 1 or 2 points though nevermind 1 million that a laser scanner can get you.

Laser scanners work on triangulation or time of flight. You can google search these. Nextengine provides one for around $2500 or you can go to david-laserscanner for a free one (get what you pay for as usual). Nextengine has pretty good support online that you can chat with people.

Once you get the 3d points, a program like Rapidform (www.rapidform.com) will convert your 3d points to a CAD model (but you need to learn how to use it).

If you need more details, there's a lot of free information available on the web. If you don't have time to research everything, we can provide consulting services for a fee to answer all your questions.

Send me a PM if interested.

Hello George
    I have a small Roland Pix-3 touch probe digitizer. It can digitize down to 0.001" or 0.025mm grid. It produces a good 3D scan. It's an old machine I got from a seller on ebay about a year ago. I can post some pictures and a vid if you like?

Chich

If you could post some pictures and a video, that would be great!

George,

For a probe check out the bargain basement on the www.machsupport.com forum. Under $100.

Arnie

Hello there George!!!!

Here is a link to a thread I just started on my digitizer.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...014#post497014

Hope you enjoy,
    Chich

the scanners are accurate but the data needs to interpreted. Rapidform has great software but it is not cheap. We offer scanning as a service but we are in the northeast.

I have a Nextengine scanner and would offer to scan an item - max size 4x4x4 to show you the capability. I have only had the machine 2 weeks and have started to get my bearings. I will have a limited time no charge option as long as you pay shipping both ways...assuming you want the item back. I can provide IGES or STEP files.

Bill
    503 705-1255

Digitizing with probe using macro program

Does any one had a copy of macro program that can digitizing a part?:drowning: