586,102 active members*
2,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Assembly problem>

Hi every one, I have been having a problem with an assembly I have been working on, I started my assembly of a table and did not finish it, any way every time I go to open the assembly it shut's alibre off. no matter how I try to open it, as a part or an assembly . I asked at the alibre forum but no answers just looky loo's . Graham

Quote Originally Posted by grahamshere View Post
    Hi every one, I have been having a problem with an assembly I have been working on, I started my assembly of a table and did not finish it, any way every time I go to open the assembly it shut's alibre off. no matter how I try to open it, as a part or an assembly . I asked at the alibre forum but no answers just looky loo's . Graham
    I have been running pretty large Assemblies in V10 Professional for a few weeks now with only a few minor problems. Are you running a PC with at least double the system requirements?????

You may need to get a few upgrades on graphics drivers if you are. Also if you have a maintenance contract active downloading V11 might help your situation.

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Thanks Toby for the reply. I updated my drivers and my system requirements are more than enough, Just seems to be that one assembly so far. Are you running v11. I noticed you can only have 1 version on a comp. Are you only using version 11. I might uninstall 10 and load in 11. V11 will be out on the 4 of sept so I was told.Graham

Good ol' Alibre.

We saved a ton of money by switching to $7000 seats of Solid Edge. We saved thousands just in not having to spend time writing up defect reports. We would find bugs in Alibre literally every single time we used it.

We would have to wait 5, 10, sometimes more minutes to open up our assemblies (very small, only 100 or so parts each including hardware) and that's after waiting several minutes for the repository folders to populate, and 5 minutes or longer to generate drawing views.

Solid Edge opens up our largest assemblies in under a minute, and drawing views are created almost instantly. Even V11 only claims to create drawing views in a minute, down from the 5 minutes in previous builds.

Sometimes you don't even get what you pay for.

Never had to wait minutes to open any assembly. Even with several hundred pcs.. But then again I never used the repository either. I do not use the Vault on V11 but that is because I like the old MS directory.

I must say though that drawings (and solids for that matter) are much faster with V11. Alibre just switched from the MSJava platform and now they came move forward much faster than before.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorDave View Post
    Good ol' Alibre.

We saved a ton of money by switching to $7000 seats of Solid Edge. We saved thousands just in not having to spend time writing up defect reports. We would find bugs in Alibre literally every single time we used it.

We would have to wait 5, 10, sometimes more minutes to open up our assemblies (very small, only 100 or so parts each including hardware) and that's after waiting several minutes for the repository folders to populate, and 5 minutes or longer to generate drawing views.

Solid Edge opens up our largest assemblies in under a minute, and drawing views are created almost instantly. Even V11 only claims to create drawing views in a minute, down from the 5 minutes in previous builds.

Sometimes you don't even get what you pay for.
    Sounds like a good program, and everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, but then again I run a small business out of my home so the need for assemblies of that size aren't needed.

It just goes to show that the needs of some aren't the same for everyone.

Sorry you had a bad experience but Alibre has been a gift for a lot of us.

Good luck with your new software and please try to keep your posts constructive, AviatorDave
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Thanks Toby for the reply. I updated my drivers and my system requirements are more than enough, Just seems to be that one assembly so far. Are you running v11. I noticed you can only have 1 version on a comp. Are you only using version 11. I might uninstall 10 and load in 11. V11 will be out on the 4 of sept so I was told.Graham
    Actually still running V10 even after the Sept 22 Official Release of V11. I have not had a lot of time to install V11 yet. This weekend might be a good time to do the install since the hard disk copy just came in the mail on Monday.

Tim has been keeping me up to date on all the advances that V11 has to offer and being very persistent about it. That is good because without his wisdom I would still be using old technology....

I will let you know what I find after the install has taken place.

At the present time I have a new surprise waiting to be unveiled. This will be quite the surprise upon arrival.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Well tell ya if I had $7000,00 to spend on soft ware it would be artcam. The problem I was having with alibre was my own doing, still learning cad, I,ve been having a great time learning this program, I installed v11 and so far so good, few minor hick ups but again probably my doing.So for under $900 you cant go wrong,(Standard). Just wondering does solid works have a full functional cad for free?

Toby whats the surprise? you can send it private, promise I wont say a word to any one. not 1.

Well tell ya if I had $7000,00 to spend on soft ware it would be artcam. The problem I was having with alibre was my own doing, still learning cad, I,ve been having a great time learning this program, I installed v11 and so far so good, few minor hick ups but again probably my doing.So for under $900 you cant go wrong,(Standard). Just wondering does solid works have a full functional cad for free?

Toby whats the surprise? you can send it private, promise I wont say a word to any one. not 1.
    Sorry, that is under wraps for at least a week or two, but I'm sure many will be surprised. Lets just say that the excitement is killing me right now.

Others feelings will differ but there isn't much that can be done about that.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Others? there,s more than you that know about this. is it over in alibre forum. is it going to be really cool and FREE lol. Graham

Talking OK... How about a guess

They are going to release VM6 as an upgrade to the current VM5 now used in the CAM side???

Steve.

Others? there,s more than you that know about this. is it over in alibre forum. is it going to be really cool and FREE lol. Graham
    The surprise in store has a little to do with Alibre but not directly. Stop guessing, the unveiling will be soon.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by scadvice View Post
    They are going to release VM6 as an upgrade to the current VM5 now used in the CAM side???

Steve.
    This has been an option for a while as far as I know. It just costs a lot more than the VM5.

Alibre Cam Express is Free. All the others need to be purchased.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

ummm..

I have Alibre Pro packaged with VM pro, bought it last month... is it VM6 or 5? I thought it was 5.
    Steve:

Quote Originally Posted by scadvice View Post
    I have Alibre Pro packaged with VM pro, bought it last month... is it VM6 or 5? I thought it was 5.
    Steve:
    To check this it might be under Help in the Main Menu. Help>About Visual Mill.

It should give the Version and Build of the one you have.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Question OK....

Tobyaxis, I checked the Alibre CAM and it says...1.1.0.6

Could I assume it is VM6???:idea:

Steve

No, it is VM5. Maybe it will get to 6 pretty quick. But 5 is working fine for me. It's really easy to use. Except that I can't get it to ignore holes on 3D tool paths. But that may be an advanced feature that I didn't pay for.

Steve (Another Steve....)

Quote Originally Posted by smurph View Post
    No, it is VM5. Maybe it will get to 6 pretty quick. But 5 is working fine for me. It's really easy to use. Except that I can't get it to ignore holes on 3D tool paths. But that may be an advanced feature that I didn't pay for.

Steve (Another Steve....)
    I had a similar problem with a different CAM Package along with an extensive list of other problems.

You may want to contact VM Support on their website. I'm sure they may have a solution for you.

What I usually do is (Alibre Design) Suppress Holes and Features for machining specific operations then import as a STEP file in V21. Yes V21 because V22 doesn't work properly. For now, I get by with it. Soon all that will change
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I don't even have either cam, all I have is cut3d and beta cambam.:violin: so this suprise probably wont even concern me. . now I'm all bummed out I'm going to bed. Graham

Unveiling? Now I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    The surprise in store has a little to do with Alibre but not directly. Stop guessing, the unveiling will be soon.
    Has the announcement been forthcoming? My curiosity got the best of me as I read the thread.

Any suggestions for integrating CAM with Alibre? I have been designing in Alibre for a bit, but would like to start cutting material for a small project, and wonder what is the best (budget-conscious) CAM software to use.

Thanks for the input.
    BTW, V11 crashed A LOT more than V10. Went back to V10.

Page 1 of 2 12