Here is my dilema... There is a type of machine for sale on eBay and it sells fairly well (by only 1 seller BTW and only 1 unit every couple days). Its not overly complex and would need some casting, machining, springs, lever, etc. Thing is I can find nothing about patents for this machine or any of its parts and I don't have one to look at to see if its labeled as having a patent.

I know from Alibaba there is a company claiming to be a manufacturer of this item in China or they are making a very convincing knockoff. The price is good thing is after paying shipping to the US and then a forwarder to actually get it to me the price goes up considerably. If I can legally produce these here myself I could get them for a great deal less increasing my profit margin (especially since I would use recycled aluminum cans instead of cast iron for the main structure).

How do I find out if I am going to dig a hole for myself because of legal problems?

Right now its 100% day dreaming really but not being able to get the answers myself I bring the Q to you... if it would be an illegal knockoff how obvious is it?