586,103 active members*
3,877 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Mach 3 Probing Wizard etc.

I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction ? I have a 3 axis CNC mill operating with Mach 3 software. I have just obtained a Renishaw probe with interface.
    I want to set up a master under the probe, which will be offset from the spindle and mill a copy by allowing the probe to come down the Z axis until the probe trigger point.
    The Mach 3 digitizing Wizard will establish the matrix.
    I realise that this is perhaps not the most elegant solution, but I am on a learning curve. Cloud points and meshed CAD models can follow !!
    Do I just enable the "config probe"- in Mach 3 ?
    Where does the probe trigger input ?
    If it's in the Z axis drive, how does G31 retract on the Z axis.

Thanks in advance for any guidance

If you are using the Digitize wizard from the Wizards menu, when you start the program running, a menu will pop up to ask what the file name will be an where you want it stored. You might want to try the other program Art and Brian created which can be accessed by going to Config>Config Plugins and enabling the 3D-probing plugin. This plugin has more control over the probing process. Don't forget to save your settings after enabling. And you'll have to restart Mach 3 to have the plugin show up on the menu next to "Help."

Good luck,
    Mike

Smile Mach 3 Probing Wizard etc.

Hi Mike, Thanks for you reply. The plug in you suggested loaded up fine and seems to function OK. I will have a play with it. I have read all the probing refs. in the Mach 3 manual, but I am still not clear on how G31 works. eg. Do you know the normal set up to connect the probe ? On the parallel port I have pins 1-6 X,Y,Z step and direction. 12,13,15 for X,Y,Z home. Is there any convention for the probe connection, or do you just select a vacant pin and configure mach 3 to suit. ? Thanks for your help.

Yes, you should be able to select any vacant pin connection and configure Mach3 for probing. I'm not familiar with the Renishaw probe other than in name. I assume that it has three connections to be made (ground, +5V (or whatever it requires), and signal). You'll need to connect the appropriate connections to your BOB with the signal line connected to the open pin on your BOB. If you use the "Automated Setup of Inputs" button and then "trip" the probe with your finger when requested, it should set everything up for you, including active high/low.

Mike

Forgot to add the G31 command...

When issued, this command will move the probe tip in a straight line to a new position requested. For example, if the current X position is 1.0000, Y is 1.0000, and Z is 0.2500 and the command given is G31 X1.5000, the probe tip will move +0.5000 along the x-axis. If the probe should be tripped at say X1.2670, the command will write the following line to a text file:
    X1.2670 Y1.0000 Z0.2500

before retracting and starting all over again (with the coordinates of a new point becoming a new line in the text file). If the probe is not tripped by the end of the 0.5000 travel an error is returned. You can try this with the MDI screen. Enter a g31 command (with appropriate parameters) and "air cut." Trip the probe with your finger at some point and observe what happens.

Best Regards,
    Mike

Smile Mach 3 Probing

Hi Mike - Thanks for your further replies. Very helpful. I think I now have enough information to progress setting up the probe and doing some trials.
    Many thanks for your help.

No problem!! Good luck with your projects.

Bst regards,
    Mike

Hi does anyone know how too put the probe setup back in the Mach3 probe section in Mach3, It doesn't show up in the Mach3 I have ? Any HELP THANKS